Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone done the wild africa trek?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if anyones done the wild Africa trek, it sounds good but bits sound scary like having to go across a narrow bridge and stuff?????

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not done it, but I do want to! I've seen people on the trek though, when we were on the safari. They do have a high perch that they look down on the crocs. It was a little scary looking up from the ground. They seem to be in some really neat areas of the safari/serengetti. I'm sure they keep the tour participants as safe as humanely possible.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the look of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends what you personally mean by scary! I did this when it first opened and I really liked it, and would do it again. Yes, there is a narrow bridge to walk across, which I didn't find scary, but if you are worried about those kind of things I guess you might, although you are securely attached at all times. However, you may well be able to bypass that bit if you ask them, as there must be a different route. When you are leaning over the rocks to see the hippos you are also tethered, so it is all safe at all times. If you like animals, and want to see behind the scenes, then this really is a great experience. You see some animals close up that you would only see from a distance on the Safari and see some really neat things about how it is all managed.

I think our Vikki did this too on her latest trip, so she may be along to give you more up to date info!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did, and here I am

It was absolutely brilliant! I was on my own so worried I'd be a billy no mates but the guides were so good, they involved everyone really well.

You don't see anything that you can't see on the safari, but you get an awful lot closer, and meet several experts along the way. You do get clipped to safety things, but this is only for the first hour or so, before you go to the savannah. I'm scared of heights but the bridge was absolutely fine

You get to go in a hide type building and was served what I was told was snacks. They were not snacks! It was almost a full on meal and was totally delicious. There were binoculars for us to use there too.

They take photos as you go round and these are included in the price. I can post some if you'd like. You get to keep a cool water bottle too

If you've got any specific questions I'd be happy to help :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see photos.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll pop some on when I'm on the laptop tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the photos

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so everyone knows...they do offer an adapted version of this for the scooter/wheelchair bound. My son, niece and I did the Trek in June. Jordan and Bethany did the regular tour (and LOVED it) and I did the adapted tour on my scooter.

While the others were doing the bridges I had a personal guide along the Pagani Forest Trail...Shane...who was just wonderful. He had a camera and took pictures of the animals and me along the way. A bird expert met up with us to give me a personal little *experience* and answer any questions I might have. Also met up with one of the gorilla handlers and learned all sorts of cool stuff about the breeding programs, etc.

I met up with the rest of the gang on the safari truck and we continued along towards the lunch spot..stopping along the way to take some amazing photos that you just can't get on the regular safari.

And as Vikki said, the food (served in metal Bento boxes) is really good...it doesn't look like much at first since it is just little bits of several things...curry chicken salad, red pepper hummus, shrimp, fruit, and a salmon pinwheel w/ a dikon salad, (something else that escapes me right now) and a couple of mini pitas...but it really is satisfying. And there is the yummy frunch from Boma to drink.

I will try to get some pictures up as well.

"Always take a banana to a party." :banana1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Figment, post: 319599, member: 91
    Just so everyone knows...they do offer an adapted version of this for the scooter/wheelchair bound. My son, niece and I did the Trek in June. Jordan and Bethany did the regular tour (and LOVED it) and I did the adapted tour on my scooter.

While the others were doing the bridges I had a personal guide along the Pagani Forest Trail...Shane...who was just wonderful. He had a camera and took pictures of the animals and me along the way. A bird expert met up with us to give me a personal little *experience* and answer any questions I might have. Also met up with one of the gorilla handlers and learned all sorts of cool stuff about the breeding programs, etc.

I met up with the rest of the gang on the safari truck and we continued along towards the lunch spot..stopping along the way to take some amazing photos that you just can't get on the regular safari.

And as Vikki said, the food (served in metal Bento boxes) is really good...it doesn't look like much at first since it is just little bits of several things...curry chicken salad, red pepper hummus, shrimp, fruit, and a salmon pinwheel w/ a dikon salad, (something else that escapes me right now) and a couple of mini pitas...but it really is satisfying. And there is the yummy frunch from Boma to drink.

I will try to get some pictures up as well.
    Hmm, can you tell them about food allergies for the Bento Box? Donna doesn't do ANY seafood or fish.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast