Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work from home?

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been asked if anyone wants to volunteer to work from home

on the one hand I really do want to but on the other hand Im worried about being isolated and feeling alone plus I read that its out of sight out of mind when it comes to progression for people who work from home. they tend to get pushed out first and never offered any progression

has anyone else done this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adrian works from home and loves it. He goes into the office once a month for meetings and he and his colleagues have the odd lunch or dinner together so he's not completely isolated. He's never been pushed out or anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked from home for 22 years until they decided to outsource my job. I loved it and wish I was still doing it! I was always included in weekly lunch meetings and had phone contact whenever it was needed.

There are a lot of pros and cons to working from home, so you really needed to think about if this would be right for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    i've done both and a mixture. I love working at home some of the time, i need the face to face interaction i think. I have felt isolated at home but it's great to catch up on paperwork or work on projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently work from home. But I'm usually out in the field during the day. I find that I get so much more work done by NOT going into a traditional office.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've worked from home, combined with extensive travel. You need the discipline to get the work done, and a dedicated space in your office. I didn't mind it, but I'm a fairly social person when it comes to work, so I like having an office.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently involved in a mix-bag - I work from home three days a week and go into the office twice. For me, it's the best of both worlds!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ridiculously social but I'm out and about so much that I don't miss a formal office. In fact, I really enjoy not hearing gossip and office politics.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    haha ... ok I'm late to this one.

As Dawn said, I work from home permanently now, and have been doing so for about a year and a half.

Personally it suits me perfectly; basically I am an introverted hermit at heart, so the lack of everyday direct human contact is an absolute bonus to me!

It works better for some people more than others. It does require discipline to keep yourself productive and not get distracted etc. The flip-side of that is that it can become easy for work stuff to flow through into (technically) non-work time. It depends on the type of work you do, and your lifestyle, as to how much of a problem that is.

I am a software engineer working for a multi-national, so a lot of my work does involve out-of-hours stuff, and also working with colleagues all over the world in different time zones. The flexibility in working hours inherent in the ability to work from home is both a blessing and a curse at times (oh look, 2 foot of snow fell overnight, and the roads are a no-go zone ... Snow Day!!! ... oh wait, dammit ... I still have an internet/vpn connection ...)

It works for me.

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    i forgot the no commute benefit! i use that time to do chores round the house so when i knock off i don't need to do them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast