Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guest Assitance Card to be Replaced

Post Thanks / Like
    It's such a shame people can't just be honest. I think the worst of it is, is that people who have a genuine need often don't get the assistance they deserve because they're worried about being looked at badly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think DLRP have the right idea with their GAC. The card comes with a list of all the rides and how many people can ride with the guest that needs the card, usually however many it takes to fill one 'unit'. So for a ride like Dumbo it's one plus card holder, for Crushes Coaster three plus card holder etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 321567, member: 30
    I think DLRP have the right idea with their GAC. The card comes with a list of all the rides and how many people can ride with the guest that needs the card, usually however many it takes to fill one 'unit'. So for a ride like Dumbo it's one plus card holder, for Crushes Coaster three plus card holder etc.
    thats seems pretty fair really
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I don't like about it is that it breaks up families (who are larger than the unit). Also, with only two allowed on some attractions, that could be a problem for a child who needs to be lifted to transfer.

I firmly believe there needs to be control, and the "perk" saved for only those who need it, but not sure limiting the "group" is the best way. It's not the worst way though, mind.

I've read that for each attraction the person with a disability will have to obtain a separate pass, as with fast pass. That would be miserable.

It might be best to have to show medical necessity as verified by the treating physician to obtain a pass. And then if the person with the disability isn't boarding the attraction, no one in the family (or group) does.

Tough stuff, just to counter dishonesty and cheaters.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 321575, member: 43
    The only thing I don't like about it is that it breaks up families (who are larger than the unit). Also, with only two allowed on some attractions, that could be a problem for a child who needs to be lifted to transfer.
    This is the only downside to it for us at DLRP. With some rides we will never experience them as a family together due to the unit size. For this reason we like to stick to the rides like (dare I say it) It's a small world as the unit size is beyond our family size.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it embarrassing enough having to go and ask for a card. I choose not to use an ecv for the very reason people have stated. I am overweight I am not a huge mammoth, but i am self conscious about it and that people are looking at me and this is the main reason I won't have an ecv.

I felt terrible asking for the card, but I genuinely cannot stand for more than about 10 mins without being in pain. Walking has been a real chore over here and there is no way I could cross back and forth across the park to return to rides.

So for me I will probably stop going to WDW, we don't go on many rides but we have got those that we like. Paying all that money for a ticket to just walk slowly round seems a bit pointless to me

I agree with a proof of disability, I don't consider I am disabled. So it would still be the same for me. I don't know how they would know that it was a genuine letter from a doctor from the UK though.

Change needs to take place but at what cost

I hope Disney doesn't start to year it's disabled guests the same as US do.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    By law, they cannot ask what the disability is or require proof. They have the right to ask what accommodations are needed.

There are always some who will take advantage of any thing they can. It should not taint an entire group.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not completely accurate. They can ask for proof, as long as they don't retain a copy. It's the keeping of the health information that gets the whole thing messy. Currently, Disney has a policy that prevents asking for documentation of need or diagnosis, but it's not illegal to do so as long as the information is not disseminated or retained.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    A school or employer can require proof. But places like Disney or an airline, etc can not

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12