Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW wants a new camera for Christmas

Post Thanks / Like
    Help!

Subject line about says it all. My DW wants a new camera for Christmas and I'm confounded about what to get her. Keep in mind that I'm a confirmed Nikon fan. But for her, I'm open to suggestions. Let me give you the requirements and then you tell me what to get! :D

1. Simple, simple, simple, simple. She doesn't get "Aperture Priority", "Shutter Priority", "Shutter Speed", "F-stop" or any other camera jargon.
    2. She's going to use it primarily to photograph her eBay auctions.
    3. Needs to do good close up work. Not necessarily at the macro level although that's a plus.
    4. Reasonable flash since most of her photographs are done under less than ideal conditions in the house.
    5. Would be nice to be able to have something like a remote for shutter release available for it.
    6. Budget - willing to spend up to around $500 or $600. What can I say? She's worth it.

I've been eyeballing the Nikon 1 series. But I'm unsure. So I'm soliciting input from all you camera gurus (or nerds. Your choice.) out there.

Go ahead all you camera experts. Give me your opinions please.

Tom ( ... behind the camera buying curve.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody?

Tom ( ... don't leave me out here all alone!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Tom, I saw this one but I dont have a great answer :/ it's not the kind of photography I do much of and so I dont know which would be best for you.

It's a fair budget so you should be able to grab something really nice! the nikon 1 series is getting good reviews all over but I 've no idea how good it is at macro

Anything is going to have a full auto mode so I wouldnt worry about it being complex
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keith. Yeah. Therein lies the problem. It's not what I normally do either. I'm usually fiddling with one setting or another trying to get the "perfect shot". If there is such a thing.

The reason I like the Nikon 1 is because all the "busy" settings are in the menus. And unless you go into those menus to play with them, you don't really know they're there. From her perspective, she really needs a camera with one button that's labeled "this is probably the best button to push".

I guess I'll just have to pay my money and take my chances.
    Tom ( ... simplistically challenged.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think perhaps splash some dosh on one of those "ebay studios" dont know if you've seen them? they come with a cube and some simple lights which you could leave setup permanently in a corner. You just put the item in there, click, and all the lights will make the item look great. Theyre not very expensive either
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a look at them. I've seen a couple of them but nothing that's grabbed my attention.

Tom ( ... B&H here I come!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion, since obviously told you what she wanted, is to take her to some place that sells cameras and let her try them out. Hopefully she'll find two or three that she likes and then you can surprise her with one on Christmas.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 322447, member: 151
    My suggestion, since obviously told you what she wanted, is to take her to some place that sells cameras and let her try them out. Hopefully she'll find two or three that she likes and then you can surprise her with one on Christmas.
    Ahh... but she didn't tell me what she wanted John. All she said was a "newer camera". All the other information about what is required is based on my years of professional experience reading her mind. :D

Tom ( ... practicing his Vulcan mind meld.)

Post Thanks / Like
    You know how to turn a phrase tom....live long and prosper!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 322450, member: 301
    ....live long and prosper!
    Isn't that supposed to be "live wrong and fester"?

Tom ( .. couldn't help it. Someone told me that one once upon a time and it's stuck with me. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast