Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am convinced there is some secret out there that I do not know about. How do people afford Disney all of the time?! Seriously?! We have 3 girls (8, 10, 17) and Disney is a fortune! Because I don't have 'little' kids, we stayed in a one bedroom villa, giving us 2 bedrooms and a washer and dryer. We also had a full kitchen, but that is not a necessity.
    We would love to come to Disney more often, but I really have no idea how people afford it!! Is there some magical secret I do not know about? We were lucky enough to get a free dining plan while we were here (it happened to be a special they were running at the time), but our room and park tickets were EXPENSIVE!

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends massively on the time of year, where you stay and for how long. For us, we go every 3 years or so, we can't afford to do it more often than that as we're limited to the expensive summer holidays - but that's because we stay for three weeks usually :D

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have kids, we have Disney instead :D it IS very expensive though, I wince every time I click buy on our Annual passes. It's even more expensive if you include the Dining <gulp>
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been every year up until now, we always go at a quieter time of the year and I have always used air miles to pay for our flights, so that's been a huge help.

After this year though, I don't know if we will be able to afford to go next year, my miles are almost gone and with costs going up all the time, it might finally be the straw that broke the camel's back :(

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 322368, member: 46
    After this year though, I don't know if we will be able to afford to go next year, my miles are almost gone and with costs going up all the time, it might finally be the straw that broke the camel's back :(
    so you're basically saying the camel's got the hump? :p
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We only go every 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in the US so flights are much cheaper. I can also drive which is what we are doing in Nov. There are usually only 2 of us traveling and I think that makes a huge difference.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Priorities in life come into play. Expendable income has many other priorities when children (or pets!) and other family responsibilities are involved. It's a matter of how much you can devote to an expensive vacation. Disney is very costly from my perspective.

I like Dawn's every three year cycle. That gives you the opportunity to explore other options that aren't so costly and perhaps closer to home.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm....never thought about our cycle...let's see, we went BC (before children) then when DD was 6, 10, 13, 16, and 21. What really seems to help us is using our Disney Visa card for EVERYTHING. We get 1% back and it adds up quick (especially when you use it for house renovations). We don't carry a balance, pay it off every month. I guess it goes that we go about every 3 or 4 years using the money from the card to pay for the Disney stay. We have only stayed on site and used the "Disney Dollars" for lodging, tickets, and most meals (especially with the DDP). It will be about another year and we will have enough to cover our stay. Then again we don't stay as long as many UK friends. Can't imagine staying there a few weeks! Holy cats that must be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Growing up in a family of four from Chicago we would go every 2 years and drove each time.

As an adult my wife and I (no kids) would go about once a year when we lived in Chicago and Minneapolis.

Now that we live in Florida we had been going 2-3 times a year but not always staying on property. We have a timeshare we would exchange with Marriott near by. We also get discounts being FL residents.

Even for us now with prices continuing to go up we have taken a bit of a break from Disney trying to do other vacations we have wanted to do.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast