...............I'm after help with making a decision about my damn knees
I see the consultant on Wednesday for a follow up and to make the decision whether or not to have an arthroscopy on my left knee :(
As you know the surgery on the right knee has not really made that much difference to the pain and having the steroid injection lasted only 2 weeks, so that's not really an option again.
I am too young for knee replacement, I have to wait until I am in my 60's, from what I gather it is partly due to cost and whether it is economically viable for me to have the replacement and also because the replacements only last about 15 years. I also understand that corrective surgery afterwards is not as successful.
I'm 49, I can get around and 8 times out of 10 can cope with the pain, so I'm not sure whether to take it further with the NHS and push for replacements so that I can get some relief when I am younger or to wait for as long as I can.
The thought of being in this situation when I'm 60 - 65 is depressing, I know it's not an old age, but a part of me thinks it would be better to struggle whilst I am younger rather than have hopefully 15 years of being pain free and then going back to the pain or struggling on when I am older.
There is another option of having a gel substance injected into the knee cap area, but this does not always work and is not available on the NHS only privately and I think it's a lot of money, although I can check that out when I see him.
So, my dilemma is, do I go ahead and have the arthroscopy on my left knee in the hope that it helps, even if it is a little bit or do I just leave it and carry on as I am?