Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again..................

Post Thanks / Like
    ...............I'm after help with making a decision about my damn knees

I see the consultant on Wednesday for a follow up and to make the decision whether or not to have an arthroscopy on my left knee :(

As you know the surgery on the right knee has not really made that much difference to the pain and having the steroid injection lasted only 2 weeks, so that's not really an option again.

I am too young for knee replacement, I have to wait until I am in my 60's, from what I gather it is partly due to cost and whether it is economically viable for me to have the replacement and also because the replacements only last about 15 years. I also understand that corrective surgery afterwards is not as successful.

I'm 49, I can get around and 8 times out of 10 can cope with the pain, so I'm not sure whether to take it further with the NHS and push for replacements so that I can get some relief when I am younger or to wait for as long as I can.

The thought of being in this situation when I'm 60 - 65 is depressing, I know it's not an old age, but a part of me thinks it would be better to struggle whilst I am younger rather than have hopefully 15 years of being pain free and then going back to the pain or struggling on when I am older.

There is another option of having a gel substance injected into the knee cap area, but this does not always work and is not available on the NHS only privately and I think it's a lot of money, although I can check that out when I see him.

So, my dilemma is, do I go ahead and have the arthroscopy on my left knee in the hope that it helps, even if it is a little bit or do I just leave it and carry on as I am?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a bit confused as to why they'll only consider replacements at 60 :/ I'd have thought it best to get a good quality of life NOW and give medical science 15 yrs to advance. Who knows, thats a LONG time, there may well be something new and wonderful by then
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it all comes down to money, why pay for 2 replacements if they can get away with 1 Possibly if I lived in another part of the country then it would be different, but from what I gather it will mean a real fight to get the replacements Post code lottery strikes again

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Keith, who knows what advances will be made in next 15 years.
    If you can get replacements now, somehow, it would be my choice. :)
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are bone on bone then honestly only a replacement will work long term. I have heard that the gel works, but only if the problem is more minor in nature.

A close friend of mine is 57 and she had both knees done last year and it's made a made a world of difference. The only time she has problems is if she kneels too long. I seriously don't understand how they can say you are too young!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wendy, I may have missed something in your explanation, but what exactly is the result of the arthroscopy? What does it do for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 322694, member: 703
    Wendy, I may have missed something in your explanation, but what exactly is the result of the arthroscopy? What does it do for you?
    During the arthroscopy they cut away any loose cartilage which is getting trapped between the knee joints, smooth any rough areas and treat ulcers on the inside of the knee cap if there are any. The whole knee area is then completely washed out to remove loose particles of bone and any other muck that might be in there.

I have had the left knee done before and it provided me with pain relief for 2 - 3 years, I wasn't pain free but it was nothing like it is now, it was almost like a stiff knee pain which everyone gets now and then, sometimes it would be worse but icing used to reduce the inflammation and it was fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Keith's argument, but I know it doesn't do you much good to say, "But all my friends think you should let me have them!" to the NHS :)

What does the gel do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Challenge it! Who knows what the medical advances will be in 15 years time and life is for living, you should absolutely not be expected to wait in pain when that may be the solution for you now.

The Keogh report (the one looking at the 14 failing health trusts currently) also states that blanket policies should not be used in the NHS.

The NHS constitution is always a good one to quote.

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rig...gland-2013.pdf

I'm sure I could dig up some more stuff if you need it ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    My best advice is to advocate for yourself. You have to be persistent and consistent.

It's due to the money that they won't replace the knees. Now they would do it right now if you are self pay. I'm one who believes you need help NOW as to waiting for a long time. Quality if life is far more important than quantity.

Quite frankly I would not let them
    Scope my knee. In fact I opted not to have that done nor the meniscus repair I hear it doesn't get rid of the pain. Just gives you a different sort.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast