Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BA vs Virgin

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy,

Not been around for a while due to getting a new job and other reasons.

So apologies.

While i've been away we've been allocated a flight for our trip next September.

Sadly, it's with British Airways despite us requesting Virgin. My biggest upset is the fact that not only have we lost our downtown disney check in we've also been put onto really rubbish flight back, almost losing a day.

There really seems no benifit for me to have booked early.

My biggest issue is that my partner really suffered with the seats last year and has now become very wary of flying. She would also prefer Virgin on the basis that she knows what she's getting into.

I have an email with Disney who have said they will look into it to see what they can do, but I am not holding my breath as they were really unhelpful yesterday and quite rude, which is very unlike Disney.

Anyway despite all this I am looking for oppinions in regards to how the two airlines compare?

Has anyone been lucky enough to fly with both recently?

Am I right to be a little upset that I seem to have been forgotten about by Disney or is it just a case of bad luck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome back, it's good to see you here

I can't help I'm afraid, I have only ever flown with Virgin

Can Disney not let you pay a little extra and transfer you to Virgin?

I guess you could always cancel and re-book with someone else and get the Virgin flights.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could always book your flights separate from your hotel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lot of friends switch for Virgin to BA this year (as they were cheaper) and said BA were better than Virgin

Post Thanks / Like
    I like BA, they would be my first choice. I actually found their economy seats more comfortable than their premium economy ones when we flew last December. At the end of the day it's 8/9 hours each way, most airlines are about the same these days with the branding appealing to different people.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's not a lot of difference to be honest so in a way that does make the little things like DTD checkin a little more important :/ We fly Virgin because they go direct from Manchester whereas BA changes at London, but if BA went direct I wouldn't have a problem flying with them. Quality wise they're about the same BUT I would miss DTD checkin I must admit
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone else find a big increase of airfares for 2014

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertcraig, post: 322984, member: 2252
    does anyone else find a big increase of airfares for 2014
    yeah sadly everyone's commenting on it. I think it's a combination of a load of factors really

Fuel is of course going up and that's the huge cost for airlines
    taxes have gone up everywhere and a few hundred pounds of any ticket is now made up of these background taxes. Easy money for the government and airports etc.
    Then add in the "green" fees (lets not even go there)
    and finally, there's been a lot of consolidation in the airlines with company purchases meaning less fundamental competition and less low price fares.

It feels really weird now that we have very low cost and very successful regional airlines for long haul to be going extremely expensive but 2014 is looking particularly bad.

I also can't help thinking that the airlines perceive an improvement in the economy and so they're planning on riding it for all they can. They're so clever with pricing now that if 50 people all start searching certain dates, they can dynamically put pricing up for those dates until the demand seems to die down then they can wind the price back and bit and so on. It's not just school holidays that are programmed in any more it's major events and all sorts of expected high demand and if you're trying for that day, blam, you're gonna be paying more just cos they can.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic for 2014 airfares at the mo

Post Thanks / Like
    I did see though that school holiday prices had gone up even more this year to take advantage of people having to take holidays at certain times. They are at risk of pricing normal people out of having a holiday I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 322988, member: 39
    I did see though that school holiday prices had gone up even more this year to take advantage of people having to take holidays at certain times. They are at risk of pricing normal people out of having a holiday I think
    agreed and of course there are people who would be very ok with that! Air travel was once the domain of the very wealthy and as a very luxury service, the price could be as high as needed and competition was on the best level of service. The climate change folks would certainly love to price air travel out of the range of holiday makers and a couple of years back the prime minister was all about spending holidays in the UK, spending money here instead of abroad and so on.

So I'm not holding my breath for any political intervention to stem the price rises, nor am I waiting for the companies themselves who after all have always said that a very few business class/1st/upper tickets have to massively subsidise economy to make it viable. If they can keep raising prices to bring it back to pre-discount-air-fare days, I'm sure they will.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast