Thread: A question for any pc whizz kid!

Post Thanks / Like
    As I was a tad concerned that I may lose most of my files [especially my photos] should I have a hard disc failure, a while ago I therefore bought a portable hard drive to run in tandem with my pc.

This portable hard drive has a capacity of 931GB and I`ve just noticed that I only have a free space of 5.96 MB left on it.
    Do I simply buy another portable hard drive [this time with a larger capacity] and save the current one, or do I delete all that is on the existing one and start again?

Be gentle with me with your reply....old dogs, new tricks etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Lord man what do you have on that hard drive? I couldn't even begin to fill up a hard drive that big. You must have a gazillion pictures. What format are you shooting your pictures in? Donna thinks it must be very large format. I think, rather than delete everything, you might consider a larger hard drive, perhaps 3-4 terabytes.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer is that either approach would work!

You could get another drive, any size, and start putting additional files on that one

alternatively, you could get a new drive, double the size say, and copy everything from the old to the new and you know you'd have the same again for expansion. (plus you could KEEP the old drive, label it "backup to oct 2013" and keep it at a friends house as a backup of last resort? it's always good practice to have a backup somewhere else)

But I must say I'm with John in that, 1 TB is a *LOT* of space to be using. I do wonder if you have duplicates etc on there. No problem if it's organisationally working for you and you can find what you need of course :)

What I would say is that you've got a lot of eggs in one very big basket ;-) and hard drives *will* all fail, it's only a matter of when they fail. So, if you're going to get a 2TB drive next time, thats even MORE data in one place.

I can recommend a more robust drive setup for you, one just as easy to use and setup but it'll be in a slightly bigger box and it'll have two drives in it mirroring each other which make it less likely to have a catastrophic failure, but it'll cost a little more

Finally, consider opening a flickr.com account. They give you 1TB for photos, thats the same size as the drive you're currently using, for free. Obviously it'll take a time to upload all your photos but it's another place to keep them for security sake
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 322936, member: 151
    Good Lord man what do you have on that hard drive? I couldn't even begin to fill up a hard drive that big. You must have a gazillion pictures. What format are you shooting your pictures in? Donna thinks it must be very large format. I think, rather than delete everything, you might consider a larger hard drive, perhaps 3-4 terabytes.
    Yep I do have a load of photos John, although I don`t shoot in RAW, I do use the largest setting [ie more megapixels] though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 322937, member: 3
    But I must say I'm with John in that, 1 TB is a *LOT* of space to be using. I do wonder if you have duplicates etc on there. No problem if it's organisationally working for you and you can find what you need of course :)

What I would say is that you've got a lot of eggs in one very big basket ;-) and hard drives *will* all fail, it's only a matter of when they fail. So, if you're going to get a 2TB drive next time, thats even MORE data in one place.
    Thanks for that Keith, you really confirmed what I thought.
    Everything is working fine though.

The main reason I went for the portable device was to avoid the "eggs in one basket" scenario. i.e if my hard drive did fail, then at least everything would be saved on the portable unit.

I guess that I`ll do as you suggest....buy another [larger] portable hard drive and save the existing one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't ask him at the moment, but I vaguely remember you and Chris talking about this and I thought you said you were automatically backing up our pc to the separate hard drive. I can't remember if Chris looked or you were going to look to see if the back up was doing a full back up every time

How often is it set to backup?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 322942, member: 46
    I can't ask him at the moment, but I vaguely remember you and Chris talking about this and I thought you said you were automatically backing up our pc to the separate hard drive. I can't remember if Chris looked or you were going to look to see if the back up was doing a full back up every time

How often is it set to backup?
    Ah sure ok, so it's AT LEAST one full backup of everything on the whole computer to that drive (and possibly keeping previous backups)... would explain why it gets full
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What about an online backup service?
    Like Carbonite or SquirrelSave over on your side of the pond.

Tom ( ... just thinking... )

Post Thanks / Like
    we have all our photos backed up in the bt cloud and on a hard drive