Makes 25 beignets
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin extract (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dry instant yeast
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for coating
- Combine pumpkin purée, sugar, cream, water, eggs, shortening, pumpkin extract, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk to combine. Add flour and yeast, stirring by hand to combine.
- Mix dough with the dough hook attachment until it forms a ball around the hook; the dough may be a little sticky.
- With floured hands, remove dough from hook and roll into a ball. Place dough in a clean bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut into 25 squares. Cover with a clean dishtowel and set aside in a warm, draft-free area for 45 minutes.
- Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep pot to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 350°F.
- Working in 2 or 3 batches, carefully drop dough into oil. Cook, turning frequently with a long-handled slotted spoon, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and transfer to the plate lined with paper towels. Lightly tent with foil to keep warm while remaining beignets cook.
- Generously sprinkle powdered sugar on top of warm beignets; serve warm.