Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been to Hawaii but it's one of those places, those who have been seem to have loved it and sigh when they remember how great it was.

I know nothing at all about it, nothing about the islands, which one is good, where to stay, what to do etc.

Really tempted to try it this year though. So, what do I need to know?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to know that Oahu is the main island for visitors and has the most hotel rooms. It is also the island that has Waikiki Beach (you can't go to Hawaii without visiting Waikiki!!) the North Shore for FABULOUS surfing, seacoast and views. Honolulu is a wonderful city with a very beautiful China Town. The bus system in Hawaii is the best in the United States. It's inexpensive, safe, clean and fun. You can take a bus trip around the entire island, hopping on and off as you please.

The food is wonderful, but don't get sucked into one of those stupid fake luaus. If you are going to do one, then do it through the cultural center.

This is the island that really has the most to do for any visitor.

Now, if you want pure peace, and not much else, go to Kauai and hang out with the feral chickens.

Maui is nice enough, but again we far preferred the many options available on Oahu. You can also take a tour of Pearl Harbor, too.

The "Big Island" is just that and put me in the mind of needing to visit someone if you really wanted to enjoy this island.

Loved the smaller islands just for the visit, but (all together now) Oahu was the most intriguing, entertaining and accessible for us.

Hope that helps a bit, and YES! You and the Mrs. Keith MUST go!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    OOOOO that's excellent info thanks Tink!

What's the best time of year to visit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget Aulani.

Never been there but I'd certainly like to go sometime.

Tom ( ... Aloha!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 323445, member: 615
    Don't forget Aulani.

Never been there but I'd certainly like to go sometime.
    Doug & Michelle have been there a couple of times Tom and they think that it is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time of year actually, Keith. Hawaii is almost always beautiful. They have bouts of liquid sunshine, but Oahu is a beautiful island with lovely trade winds.

Oh, that is the drawback to Hawaii overall. Many public places to not have a/c as they rely on the tradewinds. The hotels are ok, but some other places (like the airport!) won't have it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 323470, member: 43
    Any time of year actually, Keith. Hawaii is almost always beautiful. They have bouts of liquid sunshine, but Oahu is a beautiful island with lovely trade winds.

Oh, that is the drawback to Hawaii overall. Many public places to not have a/c as they rely on the tradewinds. The hotels are ok, but some other places (like the airport!) won't have it.
    WOW to no air con! it'll be like being back in the UK

So, May/June wouldn't be stupidly horribly hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh where do I start, I fell in love with Hawaii and if anyone ever made me choose between Disney and Hawaii, I'm afraid Disney would lose

I'll convince you, I'll copy a dvd we bought and send it up to you, I challenge you not to be impressed

We went to Oahu and Tink has already described it so well, the North Shore is a photographer's paradise and the sunsets are amazing. We have some amazing photos and the other thing that I found was that the Hawaiians are the most friendliest people anywhere. They are so happy and helpful and as Tink said we felt completely safe even when we were walking through the market and believe it or not we used the bus transportation as well We did rent a car for a few days so that we could drive around the island though

We stayed in the Outrigger, Waikiki on the Beach, Donna and John suggested it. We had a deluxe ocean front room which looked out to the beach and the sea. We would fall asleep with the patio door open listening to the water lapping the shore. I have a picture on my wall of a sunset that Chris took whilst we were sitting on our balcony, I'll look for it and post it.

When (I am not saying if) we go back, I think we would get an internal flight to the main island for a couple of days so that we can see the volcano and a couple of other things.

One thing that you do need to remember though is that Hawaii is expensive, more so than the main land.

We went late September beginning of October and it was hot, but there is no humidity so it's bearable, having said that though I couldn't lie in the sun for anymore than a couple of hours.

Helen would love it Keith and so would you for completely different reasons, Chris never got bored once, it really is a bucket list island.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok I think I need to see that DVD and will start looking at some flights

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 323491, member: 3
    ok I think I need to see that DVD and will start looking at some flights
    Well, I've been looking around the site for the Outrigger and for the same room we had last time its $499 plus tax a night

I'll copy the DVD tomorrow and send it up

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast