Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Post Thanks / Like
    I have decided that in the summer of 2015 I'm going to Edinburgh, Scotland! I have not had a vacation in a very long time, not that I could afford one anyway. With my new position I will not only have annual leave, but I should also be able to save for a vacation. You know, I tossed around the idea of staying in the States, as well as, a beach oriented holiday, but then I thought "What am I thinking? I should be going somewhere big!" While I don't always feel young, in reality I'm still young and have the energy to go far away. One of my dreams has been to visit Europe. In the past I have tossed around the idea of a guided, multi-country tour, but I think realistically it would be good for me to visit one area at a time. Scotland has been at the top of my list, specifically Edinburgh. One of my coworkers would like to go as well. Either, way I'm going in the summer of 2015. I know that the big festival is in August, but I'm aiming for June/July.

Anyone have any advice, tips, and/or hints for the trip or the long plane flight? Any specific hotels that are or are not recommended? I'm not going to lie, I'm a little freaked out about flying over that much water! I looked into better seats than traditional coach, but then saw the price tag of the tickets rise $3000!! So coach it is! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Coach isn't so terrible. At least it wasn't when we flew Continental to Ireland. That airline is now United due to a merger. Bring enough stuff to stay occupied. The flight is boring beyond belief. The worst bit is the jet lag that hits when you arrive. Try really really hard to stay awake after you land, and make through as much of the day into the evening as possible. That will keep you from having days to adjust.

Go for as long as you can, because it won't be long enough. Be sure to stay in nice hotels. They don't have to be crazy expensive, but you'll want them to be very clean and in safe areas.

Eat everything new you can get your hands on. :D That's the best part of travel, the new foods to try. Yes, try the haggis! :D Castles, castles, castles.

Plan your holiday a bit, keeping room for being spontaneous. Bring home something beautiful and indigenous to Scotland.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to ask for chips if you want fries ;-) but we also call fries fries over here too!

Go to our chip shops...different from the EPCOT one in England!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done on choosing one of the best cities in the world. :)
    June is an excellent time to visit.
    This website will give you lots of info:

http://www.edinburgh.org/see-do/

When you have a hotel budget and/or a shortlist I'll tryto give you some input on how they are.

Happy saving. :)
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    P.s- If you're on Facebook these are good to follow:
    https://www.facebook.com/edinspotlight
    https://m.facebook.com/Edinburgh
    [CENTER]

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    you will love EDINBURGH and try to visit other parts of SCOTLAND

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel the same about flying over the water when we go to Florida! I've never been to Scotland, my sister and my mum have both been and they absolutely love it there, they go on a coach and goon various trips all organized by the company.
    There's quite a few haunted castles there too I think, one of them is quite well known - although I can't actually remember what its called I'll text my sister and find out for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the support and tips! I'm so excited! I found this funky hotel that seems quite out of place due to its modern design.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been to Edinburgh quite a few times, and it is only 80 miles north of where I live now :) As MystikPiglit says, when you have a budget etc then we can most likely give you some more advice on hotels. But I would definitely get out of the city a bit...a trip to Loch Lomond, or a mini tour of the Highlands, depending on how long you will stay.

Long plane flights...well, read, sleep, have a plan for jet lag, it's not too bad really. Actually, I still find long flights exciting and I have taken many! And coach is ok too. There are airlines that fly straight into Edinburgh, so if I were you I would be looking for those flights. It makes things so much easier.

Ooo, and it's going to be exciting!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, which one is it FD?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast