Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Villas - where to start looking

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in the general area of WDW, and I too will add my voice to the Formosa Gardens area being very nice. It does allow you to have those all important and seriously convenient alternate routes to WDW.

You are minutes from 192 west where there are any number of decent restaurants and huge shops like Target, and Publix. You'll have a short drive to a Walmart, but it too is not far (short jaunt on 192 west to 27 north). You are also quite close to the 429 which if you take it north will give you a VERY easy route to Fowlers Grove at Winter Garden Village. It's the shopping area that puts you in the locals world and takes you away from potentially gouging tourist prices.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 324204, member: 43
    I live in the general area of WDW, and I too will add my voice to the Formosa Gardens area being very nice. It does allow you to have those all important and seriously convenient alternate routes to WDW.

You are minutes from 192 west where there are any number of decent restaurants and huge shops like Target, and Publix. You'll have a short drive to a Walmart, but it too is not far (short jaunt on 192 west to 27 north). You are also quite close to the 429 which if you take it north will give you a VERY easy route to Fowlers Grove at Winter Garden Village. It's the shopping area that puts you in the locals world and takes you away from potentially gouging tourist prices.
    Thanks for those tips tink. Will make a note of fowlers grove. That's one thing I've notice since we last was in Florida is how much prices have gone up, so goodness knows what it will be like when we next go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of that is due to the greediness of preying on the tourists. That's why I recommend getting away from the heavy tourist areas to dine and shop as often as possible. It's usually a bit more of a drive, but nothing to really worry about as you'll be in traffic otherwise.

The chains are involved in it too. Walmart is cheaper the further you get from WDW as is Publix, etc. Also, some chain restaurants charge higher prices closer to WDW and as far as I'm concerned their service is always secondary to those restaurants that are further from the WDW area.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't believe how random pricing is as well. The small plush Mickey teddies were nearly $20 but pay an extra $5 and we got a Santa plate and mug for cookies and milk. It's strange because I remember those small teddies being less than $10 each. They obviously raised the prices on things that are more popular.
    I know what you mean with service, we had dinner at a Denny's on idrive and we were there for about 2hours in all. It was painfully slow and half the table was served and had finished eating before the rest was eating.
    A couple of places on the 192 were good though and couldn't fault their service.

Post Thanks / Like
    We use the Target on the 192 where Tink is talking about and also there is a very nice Olive Garden and we have found the staff to be very friendly.

Prices have gone up since we were there last year and with the exchange rate it makes things more expensive as well.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 324216, member: 46
    We use the Target on the 192 where Tink is talking about and also there is a very nice Olive Garden and we have found the staff to be very friendly.

Prices have gone up since we were there last year and with the exchange rate it makes things more expensive as well.
    Is that just over the road from town centre at orange lake?? That's where we were staying the second week. We had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel just down the road from there and it was delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's down the end of the 192 that is closest to H27

The map isn't very clear but I have named some of the places that I could fit on to give you an idea of just how close Formosa is.

[ATTACH=full]16309[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Wendy I meant the target and Olive Garden you use. If it's where I'm thinking we were staying at the holiday inn at orange lake.
    Thanks for the map gives me a good idea were Formosa is

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just looked at the map and yes it is the one you are talking about

Post Thanks / Like
    We've stayed twice now at The Reserve at Town Center which is off Old Lake Wilson Road. We love it. A tiny bit further out but we are still at AK in 10 minutes and just a few minutes from loads of restaurants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast