Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone crochet?

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom crochets, but never had the patience to teach me more than a simple chain. I do needlepoint and cross-stitch...well, I used too. I love the prayer shawl idea, Tink. Lovely.

When my dad was going through chemo and radiation, he would receive a "care package" before each chemo treatment, filled with soft foods, magazines, snacks, etc. And in each one there was always a hand-knit cap. My dad treasures those and shows them off proudly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mairead, when your Mother is ready for another cap, let me know. I know that one is special to her, but I'll be honored to make her another should she so choose.

Becca, I've thought of that too, doing caps for those "kits." I surely think I could do both. The trick right now is coming up with nice yarn. I'm pretty fussy. The yarn needs to be soft, and nice... that usually equals the almighty dollar.

I've only made shawls and caps/hats for those I know, so far. When you know someone, you can concentrate on them when you create. That's an important factor. You should not be working on the item if you are stressed or upset, either. So, for me to make them for someone I don't truly know would take a bit of different type of concentration.

Since I was a recipient of a prayer shawl at the end of July, made by someone who did not know me, I started to think that it was ok to do that too. That shawl came into my life at a time when I so needed it. I don't much believe in coincidence...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 324323, member: 43
    That shawl came into my life at a time when I so needed it. I don't much believe in coincidence...
    When you sent me mine, I was completely lost, but being able to wrap it around me helped in ways I can't explain

I think it's wonderful that you want to make these for people

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mum tried teaching me countless times how to knit, I was dreadful at it! I wish I persevered with it now, she can't do it cus of arthritis.
    Crochet blankets are beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't ever had the patience to crochet, knit or anything like that.

Those are beautiful gifts for those who need them.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink you are so generous, thank you.

Your thread inspired me to go and raid Mum's yarn stash yesterday and am now starting to crochet a neon coloured blanket for Matthew. It won't be pretty, it's just basic stitches and may take me some time...I didn't specify which year I would have it finished by!

Post Thanks / Like
    Better late than never Mairead!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be lovely, Mairead! I think it's very important for babies to have something handmade by a family member, especially Aunties! I'm making a little blanket for my niece's little (soon to be born) boy.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have discovered Lion Brand. I love how soft it is and you can still machine wash. Also Red Heart has something called Boutique Unforgettable. I'm making owls and frog blankets (yes its hard but FUN). I still like the regular Red heart for kids stuff, but for the adults, I'm branching out! I'm also getting fond of knitting! I can only do 2 stitches but it's relaxing.
    People who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't know where to shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh there's a website for Knit Picks Chroma Worsted Yarn...it's beautiful stuff. A bit pricey, but BEAUTIFUL
    People who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't know where to shop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast