Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cruises Disney or otherwise...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 324906, member: 615
    Effectively that's what we did on our last Disney cruise on the Fantasy this past September. We'd been to all the ports before so, with the exception of St. Maarten where I did the 12 Metre Challenge port adventure, we stayed on the ship pretty much the whole seven days.

And it was wonderful!
    No rushing madly about trying to get off the ship. No wandering aimlessly around trying to figure out exactly what did we want to see. Instead, a relatively quiet ship, a comfortable deck chair on deck 4, a good book or six, warm caribbean breezes, and all the food and drink we could handle. I know what we'll be doing the next time we go.

Tom ( ... glutton for pleasure!)

Ooh we loved the 12 meter challenge, such a fun morning and back on the ship in time for lunch too.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK what is the challenge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bambi-Belle*, post: 324908, member: 208
    Ooh we loved the 12 meter challenge, such a fun morning and back on the ship in time for lunch too.
    Isn't it? Excellent Port Adventure and one I'll gladly do again when we get back to St. Marrten.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 324938, member: 2007
    OK what is the challenge?
    It's a port adventure where you race two of the original 12 Metre America's Cup yachts. They actually have three of the original 12 Metre yachts but in my case, the race was between "Stars and Stripes" and "True North IV". Dan (Watchinherskip) and I discussed it extensively in this thread. Pictures included. More information about it is here.

Like I said, it was about as much fun at you could ask for. Especially if you're a sailing fan!

Tom ( ... main grinder, 2nd gear, GO!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't read all the replies that have been posted so sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    My mum and dad did the med disney cruise earlier this year. Now they love disney and will often go to dlp on their own and have been WDW on their own. But they said they would never do a disney cruise again as after a couple of days it all got a bit much. I know it wasn't the disney side of things they didn't like more the amount of tiny noisy humans in a tiny space got to them by the end.
    So if it's just you and mrs Keith then perhaps a cruise that's geared more towards adults. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Suebeattie, post: 324945, member: 3384
    So if it's just you and mrs Keith then perhaps a cruise that's geared more towards adults. :)
    Hmm, I don`t know if I entirely agree with this. o_O
    My DW and I have so far completed 9 DCL cruises and we are due to embark on another over the New Year, and we don`t have any children of our own.

It`s all down to the timing of the cruise really. Out of all the cruises that we`ve done, there has only been a brief moment on one of them when we had an issue with children causing a bit of mayhem. It didn`t last long though as one of our friends who was cruising with us used to enter the Mr. Universe contests and if he says that it is Thursday, then it`s Thursday irrepective of what day of the week it is. :)
    A "quiet word" from him to the offenders soon calmed them down.

Naturally if the cruise takes place during periods when most kids are not at school then situations like this are more likely to occur, although their parents should take more than a bit of responsibility.

One good thing about the DCL cruises is that there is a fair degree of segregation between the adult, teens, and toddlers sections and this extends even to Castaway Cay where the adults only beach area is a haven of peace.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom ( ... just don't do the Caribbean when the southern hemisphere is on spring break!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I still can't convince Chris he says it, it will be Disney overload and he just doesn't fancy it :(

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 324906, member: 615
    Effectively that's what we did on our last Disney cruise on the Fantasy this past September. We'd been to all the ports before so, with the exception of St. Maarten where I did the 12 Metre Challenge port adventure, we stayed on the ship pretty much the whole seven days.

And it was wonderful!
    No rushing madly about trying to get off the ship. No wandering aimlessly around trying to figure out exactly what did we want to see. Instead, a relatively quiet ship, a comfortable deck chair on deck 4, a good book or six, warm caribbean breezes, and all the food and drink we could handle. I know what we'll be doing the next time we go.

Tom ( ... glutton for pleasure!)
    Tom, that was worth the trip wasn't it? One of the best things you can do in my humble opinion!

We have cruised on Carnaval and Royal Carribean, both are pretty good and a pretty good value considering the entertainment and the fact that you wake up in a brand new place each day of the trip (even if it is a "fun day at sea"). We sailed to St Marteen as well but aboard the Allure of the Seas, the largest cruise ship at the time (and currently I believe). It was as great as the destinations. Always something to do and there is a wonderful adults only section for peace and quiet if you would like that. The Solarium had 4 or 5 smaller pools or spas and wide comfortable seating areas to lounge. There is a great option to eat at the solarium as they have really nice, light and healthy alternatives to the cruise food. Great for breakfast or lunch.

We cruised Carnaval to Alaska and to the southern Caribbean. We had a few cruises on smaller RC ships to the Bahammas and Mexico. I really love to cruise and hopefully you will too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 324975, member: 163
    It`s all down to the timing of the cruise really.
    I think that might of been the problem as I think there were some European countries on school holidays.
    I have no experience of this myself but I would love to do a disney cruise. And I think my mum and dad are glad they have done if just wouldn't rush to do it again :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123