Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Traditions in your home

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we've not done this in awhile, have we?

I love to hear about how other folks celebrate the Christmas season. Do you have special traditions? Were they carried on from generations past? What sorts of special foods and treats do you have during this time of year? What do you have for Christmas dinner? How do you open your presents; with ceremony or just have at it? Do you have an advent calendar? What sort? Advent wreath? Do you hang stockings? What sorts of things do you receive in your stockings? To whom do you give gifts?

Tell me about your Christmas. The greater the detail the better. Make your holiday come alive here on this thread!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    oh I love this... I do hope everyone tells us their traditions.

I'm a complete Christmas nut :D as everyone knows. I've been counting down the days until 24*7 Christmas movie channels came on and ever since they started, that's all that I've watched :D news? couldn't tell you WHAT's going on in the world since the christmas movie channels started.

We dont have any kids, or nephews/nieces etc so it's a quiet grown up christmas I guess you'd say. By tradition, we all meet at mum/dads house for lunch which is the usual turkey with a specially done ham (some kind of special coating I think). Dinner would then be a buffet of left overs unless I can convince someone to make me a bacon sandwich ;-)

Gifts are pretty much ripped into as soon as we're all there so it's just done but we do have a "christmas snow house" which is a large very detailed christmassy house, almost like a huge doll house, made by great great grandma and set in the middle of the table. It has small, personal presents for everyone at the meal and we fish those out over coffee/tea at the end of the meal.

I MUST have an advent calendar otherwise I'd have to accept that I'm old This year I have a mars bar calendar with little mars bars in each window and I also have a lego star wars calendar with a tiny star wars toy behind each window. :-P

My christmas day torture is the afternoon/evening when everyone watches the awful quiz shows and generally mind numbing stuff. The ipad has helped there, I can Internet or read without looking completely out of it behind a laptop.

At the end of the day I like to go for a long walk around the child hood neighbourhood whether snowing, raining or whatever. The last few years people have been setting off those chinese lanterns on Christmas night as well as new years, so it's quite a pretty evening.

So not a lot really but somehow the years we've spent Christmas at Disney, we've really missed being home.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds very lovely, Keith. Especially the bacon sandwich. :D (Do love bacon)! I do miss, if only a little, snow on Christmas Eve and or night. Beautiful.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We really don't have any Christmas Traditions as our kids and grand kids are scattered hither and yon and we haven't really all been together for quite some time now. Growing up Turkey was a Christmas meal as well as Thanksgiving. In the last several years I have been cooking a standing rib roast with Yorkshire Pudding, but that may not happen this year. We may just put out a buffet style meal. I haven't decided yet.

I guess the one tradition that does exist though is that for all who are present at our house there are stockings with several gold wrapped chocolates in them.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooohhhhhh our traditional Christmas had to be Christmas buffet in the evening. Also we must be in bed and asleep before clock strike 12! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to keep a tradition alive, John (or create a long lasting one) when family is scattered hither and yon.

I like the sounds of your Christmas buffet, Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 325326, member: 43
    It is hard to keep a tradition alive, John (or create a long lasting one) when family is scattered hither and yon.

I like the sounds of your Christmas buffet, Jeff!
    Our buffet is the cold platter type where we have gammon, Turkey, cold stuffing, cold roast potatoes, picked beetroots, pickled egg, few cheese and bread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never eaten cold stuffing or cold roast potatoes. Sounds like a very lovely meal!

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any traditions as such my christmases have evolved over the years.In the past the parents always came to us on christmas day and one by one there were less and less.Then it was my own family and granchildren that came on christmas day.Now that i am on my own i go to my oldest sons on christmas day.I suppose the only tradition i have is the church service on christmas eve and the family service on christmas morning I now find christmas a difficult time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    As my children have grown up my family traditions have changed also... Now.. everyone are adults and I have no Grandchildren and none coming in the foreseeable future, so an adultish Christmas we now have at the moment.

Before Christmas we traditionally visit the cinema for the latest Christmassy film... usually go somewhere nice to eat another day... we like to Christmas browse and shop in the early evening so we can soak up the Christmas lights and atmosphere, we also visit the ice rink they put up outside here in town. To watch people skate. My skating days are over lol.... again something I did when I'd had a few as it was less painful when I fell over... plus it seemed to make me an incredible skater lol....

We stay away from the Christmas market up by the castle... we went once and never again... the crush was terrible for expensive tat. But it does look gorgeous up that end of the town, all quaint and Christmassy.

As I now suffer with Ulcerative Colitis and am very low on energy we have a low key Christmas. We start off with filled stockings on the beds for everyone who's staying/living with us and come down to wrapped presents under the tree... can't have Christmas without presents under the tree... We set a cap on the prices of presents because we don't want anyone to feel ill or worried about what to get or get into debt over one day.... this is not what Christmas is all about in our book. We love having family and friends over... that is more important to us than any gift. Every year we secretly choose someone who we know is not having such a good time of it and we make up a big hamper for them, we enjoy shopping for this and put in goodies and pampering treats as well as food, we put tinsel around it so it looks all Christmassy. And leave it for them, this year it will be a lovely lady who gives so much to everyone but she does struggle and something happened this year to deplete her money so she's been working her socks off to get out of that hole, and I love her to bits. I have put a joke in her hamper which I couldn't resist... I got it today funnily enough it's a blow up *Perfect Man* LOL! She keeps saying she wants a perfect man so now she can have one at Christmas...

We start off with a Bucks Fizz and scrambled egg with smoked salmon and toast. Dinner is cooking in the oven as I've gotten up early to put it in the oven... I can't eat turkey anymore so we have a fore rib roast of beef with all the trimmings and horseradish sauce. The beef is a very expensive piece because it has to be a big piece :( Because I absolutely adore cold beef and gravy sandwiches for days afterwards.... The table gets laid out as beautifully as I can get it, with linens and crockery and baubles and sprayed cones and twigs.... you don't have to spend zillions on fancy decs for it to look good.

We've opened our presents during the Bucks Fizz quaffing... We usually have a mulled wine on the hob..... you can see where this is going can't you....

I save myself for dinner as I love beef. So I just fill up on liquids.... ;)
    films go on the tv or Christmas Carols on the cd player in the kitchen. As no one here drinks wine and we don't like it much we have liquers (sp) usually Baileys with ice or something similar and creamy. mulled wine isn't wine if you know what I mean lol.

Dessert is left until later because everyone is stuffed... and I semi prepare the buffet for the evening... if I can still see by then... We watch films and snooze and fill glasses and clink away toasting missed loved ones who can't be here anymore. This year we will be lighting two Chinese lanterns in memory of Alan's Dad who passed away recently and letting them off up into the sky.

I start to pop the mini pies and snacky things into the oven, we'll have had dessert by now, a selection as not everyone likes Christmas pudding. We always have (my Mum's recipe) sherry trifle.... it is laden with fruits and ahem.. more booze, you could get drunk on my Mum's trifle. So we are usually all filled up and if we're not well pickled ourselves we'll have eaten some pickles. At the end of the day I always make up a parcel of goodies/food for my Dad to take home... and Boxing Day, the next day he comes back for another day of filling up with food ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast