Thread: Need new camera advise for wife's Christmas present

Post Thanks / Like
    To our resident camera experts I need your help!!

I want to get my wife a new camera for Christmas. Her old Sony has been out of commission for some time now and she is getting antsy to begin taking photographs again.

I have been going back and forth between the Nikon D3200 DSLR and the Nikon D7000 DSLR. The primary purpose the camera is used for is for nature and animal shots along with vacation photos. She likes to blow the pictures up to usually no larger than 8x10 but definitely no larger than 11x13. She would like to start selling some of her photos in the near future as well.

I am also looking at two additional lenses for her. The Marco Lens ex: 105mm f/2.8 and the Fixed Focal Length Lens ex: 50mm f/1.4

Can anyone tell me which camera they think is better or at least better suited for her needs? Also any advice on the lens as well.

Thanks!!

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Not real sure on this one.

I suppose it depends to a large degree on her capabilities. Has she used a DSLR before? The D3200 looks to be more of an entry level DSLR but it has gotten good reviews on both dpreview and on Ken Rockwell's site. The D7000 has been around longer though and looks to be a tank. It too has good reviews on dpreview and Ken Rockwell's site. In fact, in 2012, Ken Rockwell called it Nikon's best DSLR ever. Strong praise indeed.

For myself, I've got the D5100. I love it. Ken Rockwell does too and compares it very favorably to the D7000. I guess you have to understand her capabilities and desires and choose the camera that best fits her needs. One thing to keep in mind, the D7000 is significantly heavier at 24 ozs than the D3200 is at 16 ozs. Not sure how much difference that makes but an additional 8 ozs hanging around your neck all day could make a difference.

Tom ( ... no camera expert but I do love my D5100! )

Post Thanks / Like
    It's always hard to choose. I've had the d7000 and in my experience its as capable a camera as you could hope to have. Look back 50 yrs, people were making iconic images with cameras which had none of the gadgets, manual focus etc. so the answer really is either one (or the 5200) will do brilliantly. My personal preference would the the 7000. On that model a lot of things came together which made it a joy to use. it's heavier but not TOO heavy.

Lens wise the macro is a joy :) really excellent for close ups. the 50mm 1.4 likewise one of my fave lenses (although whether it justifies the additional cost over 1.8 I dont know). If she wants landscapes though you'd need something wider as well
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    At store right now and considering cannon rebel sl1 digital SLR camera .

What do you think of Canon verses Nikon?

Df' s wife

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 326047, member: 1147
    At store right now and considering cannon rebel sl1 digital SLR camera .

What do you think of Canon verses Nikon?

Df' s wife
    Hiya Df's wife!!!

Both canon and nikon are at the stage where they both work great and deliver great results. The flash system is better on the nikon and the feel of the systems is different so I'd recommend going with which ever feels right to you if you dont already have many lenses.

I have the rebel sl1 and it's EXCELLENT. Small. light and delivers brilliantly... it doesnt have the more advanced autofocus of some of the others but how much you need that is debateable!

I'd start by handling both canon/nikon and see which feels right to you

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keith & Tom for the help. The wife went with the Canon SL1. She loved the compact and light weight feel. She has small hands so that works perfectly for her. She like the touch screen feature as well and it seemed the Canon was a bit more user friendly. I think she felt more comfortable with the Canon since she used to use one back in the day when she would develop her own film.

Off tomorrow for Key West for a week so she doesn't have much time to get acquainted with her new toy. I guess she has something to do now during the drive other than sleep.

Upcoming Vacations:

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent choice! It's an amazing camera and very responsive I'm sure she'll love it. What about lenses ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got her the 50mm fixed focal point lenses, the 250mm telephoto lens along with the standard 55mm lens that came with the body.

Upcoming Vacations: