Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books on Disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been meaning to start reading books about Disney - both the man and the parks.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? The kind of topics I'm interested in are:

1) An honest biography of Walt (not an ode to him)
    2) The creation of the theme parks.

I don't expect both of these topics to be covered in a single volume so I'd invite any recommendations for either one (please state which).

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vault of Walt is a must read! The guides to the parks by the Imagineers are fantastic - unsure of the titles though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vault of Walt has really mixed reviews on Amazon, although it's been mentioned positively in a couple of Disney podcasts.

I ended up watching the Channel 4 documentary - 'Secret Lives' on Youtube last night. It was the episode on Walt Disney. There's a part missing (and it sounded like it was the most interesting part), but it was a good look at the darker side of Uncle Walt. The funniest thing was that the suggested videos after I finished it was all about Walt as a member of the illuminati and looked at Disney's portrayal of this in his movies and cartoons - it was hilarious, every time a triangle was used in a cartoon, ominous music played and it was called brainwashing! Puffs of smoke and stars in the sky were said to spell out sex too. The only thing that did ring a little true was that there were a fair few depictions of the eye in the pyramid symbol in a lot of cartoons - it'd be on a rug, or hanging over a door and it seems quite odd in a kids' cartoon.

I think I might pull the trigger on the Vault of Walt - it's as good a starting place as any. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're also maybe looking for one on Disney animation, look no farther than "The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation" by Ollie Johnson and Frank Thomas. Two of the original "nine old men". It's a stunning read on what it took to develop Disney animation.

For pure Walt, I've heard very good things about "Walt Disney: An American Original". Been meaning to pick that one up myself. Maybe Santa's listening.

Tom ( ... gonna need a bigger bookshelf!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The final Book by Ridley Pearson Kingdom Keepers 7 is hitting the book shelves on April 1st. I can't wait.

Molly

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, let me know what you think of Vault of Walt if you end up with it...I'm considering it myself and would like to know what you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never read any of the Kingdom Keeper books are they good and am I missing out by not reading them?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started reading them when I was a teen and they are more focused for that age group. I just have read all 6 books and couldn't leave out the last one.

Molly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 335657, member: 61
    Tony, let me know what you think of Vault of Walt if you end up with it...I'm considering it myself and would like to know what you think of it.
    Oops, my apologies, I missed the last few posts on this thread.

Yes, I will do... I have a feeling I'm going to need to keep up my Disney fix when I return home (even though I've not been to single park this trip )

Post Thanks / Like
    There were two books I wanted to buy but it was bit pricy it was something like $40 or something.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast