Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving for WDW Holiday

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember back in the good ol days when you could get 6% on your savings... now we're thrilled to get at least 1%

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 326907, member: 2007
    I remember back in the good ol days when you could get 6% on your savings... now we're thrilled to get at least 1%
    So true, it makes having an ISA less and less of a benefit - not paying tax on 1% interest isn't much of an incentive to save!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, but it's better there than under the mattress :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    We're doing the 52-week Savings Challenge - if anyone is looking for a record sheet - this is the one we're using. We also have a "change jar" that we toss our coins into each day - last trip that covered the cost of one of our 8 day hoppers!
    52-week-savings-challenge.png

Post Thanks / Like
    I just realized I posted this in another thread...but I think it actually "fits" better here, so I'm reposting...

Oh! We also ask for Disney Gift Cards for occasions like birthdays and holidays, and whenever we get "unexpected" money (rebates, ebates, bonuses, etc) we convert them to Disney G/C and tuck them away.

One thing I just started dabbling in...our local grocery store (who also sells fuel) offers "cents off" on your gas when you use your loyalty card. So, for every hundred dollars you spend in the grocery store, you get .10 off their current gas price. Occasionally, they will offer double, triple, or even quadruple gas points on gift cards. When they do this, I purchase Disney gift cards, gift cards to local restaurants we eat at, and department stores we frequent etc.

It's basically like getting an extra bang for your buck. So for instance, we were in charge of purchasing Jon's mom's Christmas present from him and his sisters this year. We'd decided to purchase a "pull-behind trailer" for her riding lawn mower from Home Depot for around $300. His sisters put in their money, we put in ours - then we went to Stop & Shop and purchased a Home Depot G/C in the amount of $300. We purchased the trailer online on Home Depot (through ebates), using the gift card. I found a $10 promo code online, made $9 through ebates, and came out with 1200 gas points (equaling $1.20 off gas up to 30 gallons). Because we'd already budgeted $300 for this particular item - we ended up with a total of $55 in savings...which I then turned around and purchased another $50 Disney G/C (and received another 200 gas points ) We did this with LOADS of our gifts this year! Jon bought gas just yesterday for only $1.30/gallon! A word of caution if you try this, gas points DO expire, so make sure you use them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ebates!!!! Apparently I joined in 2004 and forgot about it till 2013. It has been a great savings/money back for things I typically purchase on the internet anyway

Plus I found a way to save on WDW tickets.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use ebates quite often...recently I put a little post it note on my laptop to remind me, or else I forget!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 327069, member: 61
    I use ebates quite often...recently I put a little post it note on my laptop to remind me, or else I forget!
    Lol I use it quite often now.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 326905, member: 2007
    I usually book it all first then I HAVE to save all year towards it or else I'm not going.
    Yep that's the way we usually do it too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just signed up for a Target RedCard. There are two kinds, a true credit card or a debit card. The debit card allows you the same 5% savings that the cc does, but simply attaches to your pre-existing bank account. When we use the RedCard, we save 5% on all of our Target purchases...including Disney Gift Cards. So, if my Disney trip costs $2000, and I pay with gift cards purchased at Target, I'll save $100. It's not HUGE, but hey, it's $100.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast