Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Cruisers! Fact or Fiction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon LOVES to cruise. LOVES it. I've mentioned a Disney Cruise a time or two, and have always been met with, "Isn't that just for families?" and/or "Isn't that WAY more expensive than a "regular" cruise?" (meaning on ANY other cruise line). Well, I am considering booking a cruise for his birthday and was hoping to debunk some of these "assumptions" and decide if perhaps a Disney cruise is/is not right for us!

So...

It's a well-known assumption that Disney cruises are (generally speaking) more expensive than "other" cruise lines. So, in your experience, is that fact or fiction? Are Disney cruises more costly?

It has also been my experience that most cruisers find the extra outlay of cash worth it. Fact or fiction, in your opinion?

I have also heard (mainly from people who have never been) that Disney is more for families with young children rather than families with older children or couples. Fact or fiction? Are there things to entertain and engage "non-traditional Disney cruisers"?

And finally, for those of you who have cruised with Disney AND on other lines...what are the differences?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't help really, but when I looked into a Caribbean cruise a long time ago, DCL was considerably more expensive.

Tink has done both and if I remember correctly she wouldn't do it again. I'm sure she will tell you all about it though

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Becca,

To answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 327169, member: 61
    It's a well-known assumption that Disney cruises are (generally speaking) more expensive than "other" cruise lines. So, in your experience, is that fact or fiction? Are Disney cruises more costly?
    More expensive? Yep.

It has also been my experience that most cruisers find the extra outlay of cash worth it. Fact or fiction, in your opinion?
    Worth it? Youbetcha Kimosabe! (although this one is more a personal opinion)

I have also heard (mainly from people who have never been) that Disney is more for families with young children rather than families with older children or couples. Fact or fiction? Are there things to entertain and engage "non-traditional Disney cruisers"?
    Things to entertain and engage "non-traditional Disney cruisers"? Yep. Plenty.

From the adults only pool and section of the decks to the adults only restaurants to the adults only club areas to the Spas, I'd say there's plenty to do for "non-traditional Disney cruisers". I believe Disney even plans for "non-traditional Disney cruisers" in the main dining rooms also. While there's certainly children around, my DW and I have only been seated at the normal dining rotation at a table with children on one of our five Disney cruises. The other four we were seated at dining tables with parties that were strictly adults. This can't be coincidence. So, I believe Disney does their best to accommodate the "non-traditional Disney cruisers".
    And besides, there's always the bars!

And finally, for those of you who have cruised with Disney AND on other lines...what are the differences?
    Having never cruised on another cruise line, I can only share what a good friend of mine told me when we were considering taking our first cruise back in 2003. Said friend lives in Florida and considers himself a professional cruiser. He and his wife have been on literally every cruise line that calls a Florida port home. His take on Disney and the associated expense was pretty simple and can be summed up in two statements.
    • He felt that Disney cruise lines offered staterooms that were on average, probably anywhere between 10 and 25% larger that what you'd find on other cruise lines.
    • He felt that if they were going to cruise on a known cruise line looking for a known cruise experience, they'd pick Disney hands down any day.

We took him at his word and to be perfectly honest, have absolutely no desire to experiment beyond Disney cruise line. We've discussed others. Priced others. Explored others. But we just can't bring ourselves to cruise with anyone else. Our experience on Disney has been that good. In fact, I'm currently pricing what will be our sixth Disney cruise. I'm sure someday I'll also be booking our seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth Disney cruises also.

Now, since this post represents what can be a touchy subject for some people, I feel obligated to include the following:

IMPORTANT: This post is intended for the use of the individual
    addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
    confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive
    persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational
    religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any
    dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not
    authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an
    irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has
    been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this
    warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be
    ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this
    post, although the Yorkshire terrier next door is living on
    borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming
    fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no
    hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so
    just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft: However, by pouring
    a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you
    can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have
    received this post in error, please add some nutmeg and egg
    whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly
    and let it stand for 2 hours before icing.

Your mileage may vary.

Tom ( ... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahaha! You had me at "bar"

Thanks for the insight, Tom, and for sharing your friend's insight as well, very helpful.

Meanwhile, I'll be adopting your disclaimer as my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still worry about the dining seating I'm just not sociable enough, I wish I was.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 327347, member: 3
    I still worry about the dining seating I'm just not sociable enough, I wish I was.
    Jon feels quite the way you do, Keith. That was what originally made the Norwegian Cruise Line so attractive to us, because you "opt out" of communal seating and choose to sit at a private table during meals. He's gotten better, he enjoys places like Biergarten in Germany (EPCOT) and has even become downright conversational from time to time...but I think ultimately, he still prefers to have the choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty awful. Christmas work do I ate nothing because I was trying desperately to make some kind of conversation with people and heck, I KNEW them

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon swears that he has an easier time making conversation with complete strangers than he does trying to make small talk with people he knows. Clearly this is a foreign concept to me so usually he just lets me do all the talking

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 327356, member: 61
    Jon swears that he has an easier time making conversation with complete strangers than he does trying to make small talk with people he knows. Clearly this is a foreign concept to me so usually he just lets me do all the talking
    see this is why I need to be on the same table as you !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 327358, member: 3
    see this is why I need to be on the same table as you !
    Indeed! If only I weren't too shy to meet you! ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast