Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling All Cruisers! Fact or Fiction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 327361, member: 61
    Indeed! If only I weren't too shy to meet you! ;-)
    I know.. I hope one day to convince you ;-)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What is this shyness you speak of? I'll talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere about anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 327347, member: 3
    I still worry about the dining seating I'm just not sociable enough, I wish I was.
    I'm exactly the same. Maybe we should all go together - we could talk Disney and cameras all evening long!

...Who am I kidding, we'd end up in Hooters!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 327347, member: 3
    I still worry about the dining seating I'm just not sociable enough
    I had written a long response to this post Keith. Of course, then I tried to add a couple of smilies and Safari tanked.

So it goes. I'll try again.

To be perfectly honest, my DW and I felt pretty much the same way before our first DCL cruise. Given our choice, we'd much rather just dine by ourselves. We're comfortable with each other (of course), but strangers are a different story. However, with one exception, we've been very happy with our dining partners on all of our cruises.

In the interest of full disclosure, here's the story of the ones we weren't too fond of. On that cruise, we were seated with two other couples. A fairly young couple from Ohio and a retired couple from Florida. Both these couples seemed to get along just fine. We just never hit it off with either of them. For whatever reason, they just seemed a bit boorish for our tastes. They in turn, didn't seem to care whether we were around or not. We thought about going to Guest Services and changing tables but ended up just handling it ourselves. By a kind of unspoken mutual consent, we arranged our seating so that my DW and I were at the end of the table. Arranged that way, she and I could enjoy our own conversation while these other two couples kept to themselves at the opposite end of the table. Not ideal but it worked. This was on our second cruise.

The remaining four cruises have all been delightful. Here's how they stacked up.

Our first cruise, we were seated with two families. Each of which had a small child. The one family was from South America and spoke not a word of English. They kept pretty much to themselves when they were in the dining room at all. I don't know where they ate the remainder of the time. Perhaps Topsiders (the old buffet on the Magic) or cabin service. But they weren't around a whole lot. The other couple we hit if off quite well with. They were a gentleman, his wife and their 2 year old little boy. The gentleman was a Colonel in the USAF. He was also a physician. In his professional duties, he was the commanding officer of a medical team based at Patrick AFB, FL charged with providing medical crew care during any and all Shuttle operations. His team was located there in Florida at Patrick AFB as well as at Cape Canaveral. He also had team members on ships in the Atlantic as well as at Rota, Spain and several other locations during any Shuttle operations. Needless to say, conversation with him and his family was quite polite and thoroughly enjoyable. Even their little 2 year old was a charmer. Since we DW had just retired from a career as a kindergarten teacher, she found the little guy to be adorable.

The second cruise I described above.

The third cruise was interesting. There we were, seated at dinner, with a younger, recently married couple and some crazy Englishman and his charming DW. Said crazy Englishman was of course, our own Slowhand and his delightful wife Sue. Needless to say, this dining arrangement was a delight and one I'd gladly replicate any day.

The fourth cruise was, by mutual arrangement, again with Terry and Sue along with their friends from Los Angeles and their daughter. Once again, a delightful arrangement as I'm sure you can imagine.

The fifth (and so far, final) cruise was supposed to have been with Terry and Sue again along with you and Helen. Alas, that was not to be. So, we ended up seated at a table with two other couples of our same approximate age. After introductions we found that all of us were from the South (one from Hilton Head, SC and one from Augusta, GA) and so had some degree of commonality among us. As it turns out, they were both also excellent dining partners and hysterically funny. Jokes started flying among us at dinner until sometimes it become difficult to eat between fits of laughter. I'm sure the other folks around us thought us all quite insane.

So, even though my DW and prefer to dine by ourselves, we've found the majority of our DCL dining experiences to be quite enjoyable. If we ever did find ourselves in a situation that we considered untenable, we'd just trot ourselves over to Guest Services and get ourselves moved to another table.

If all else fails, there's always the buffet's or perhaps even Palo or Remy. One way or another, it can be worked out.

Tom ( ... where shall we eat? )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G, post: 327399, member: 1391
    I'm exactly the same. Maybe we should all go together - we could talk Disney and cameras all evening long!

...Who am I kidding, we'd end up in Hooters!
    Wooohoooo! :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 327413, member: 615
    I had written a long response to this post Keith. Of course, then I tried to add a couple of smilies and Safari tanked.
    We HAVE to do something about the silly smilies I know that the forum software people are changing it somewhat in the next version but I'm not yet sure whether it's just the management of the smilies rather than how they're presented.

I think perhaps the best thing we can do right now is remove them all and just put back a core few smilies which are used a lot. At least then it wouldnt crash peoples' browsers

So it goes. I'll try again.

If all else fails, there's always the buffet's or perhaps even Palo or Remy. One way or another, it can be worked out.

Tom ( ... where shall we eat? )
    yeah true I don't think we should let it put us off forever that's for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12