Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you discover Walt Disney world?

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, I remember the first time I saw WDW very vividly. We were on holiday in a caravan in Wales when I was young and I can remember lying on the couch, watching the tv upside down and watching the presenters on the breakfast show outside the castle with a bunch of kids. It was in the 70s so probably not long after Disneyworld opened.

Since holidays were always wales, I didn't get there until much later. I was coming back from a disastrous business trip and had had WAY too much wine on the plane on the way back. The company, hateful though it was, arranged a car and driver at the airport to take me home and on the way home the driver, realising I was incredibly depressed and somewhat drunk, asked how things were. I explained I was in a really stressful business and had had an awful year. He went on to tell me that he'd had the same until he retired and started his executive car company but that every year he now went with his family to this wonderful place called EPCOT to relax. There was this huge lake around which everyone gathered to watch the fireworks. By the time I got home I knew I had to go and see them.

The rest is history. My first trip to EPCOT blew my mind. I was completely wowed by the fireworks and the size of EPCOT itself! couldnt imagine how much there was to explore. Cast Members said hello and smiled every time I passed them and whilst I was waiting in queues, on more than one occasion, a CM would come over and offer me a drink!

To me, it's EPCOT not Magic Kingdom that let's me know I'm at Disney World and although I love wishes, illuminations is the one that gets me teary.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    WDW and I both made our debut in October 1971 :-) I can't remember a time that I didn't know about Disney or the parks. I had a WDW metal lunch box in kindergarten. We never went though. I was always told it was too expensive. I didn't go until I was 25 and took Alysia for her 5th birthday. I cried the moment I spotted the castle and knew I was home.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was asked once, only once, if I'd like to go to WDW as a child. It was either that or visiting my relatives in Canada. I chose Canada. Looking back I now think my parents only asked me because they thought it was the done thing to take your kids to WDW - I also now know they're not Disney fans, so it was nice of them to ask :-D
    This year we combined WDW and Canada in one trip, which was wonderful!

Our first trip was in September 2001 (9-11 was our first ever day in MK). We went for our honeymoon and have never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first recollection is watching a television show (probably the Wonderful World of Color) that was showing how Pirates of the Caribbean had been made… I was hooked from then on. :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Disney time on a Saturday afternoon and seeing Tink fly over the castle.
    We lived in Kent then so I was less than aged 9 and I knew then I wanted to see it for myself.
    When I met my ex he had already been in 1982 but we went for our first wedding anniversary in 1992.
    My kids have lived Disney since before they were born!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've know it existed since shortly after it opened. My first visit however, was not until 1987 after I came back from Germany. It was fascinating to see the castle but other than that I really don't remember a lot about that first ever trip at the age of 39.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first experiance was my visit in 1981 and I have been in love with DISNEY World ever since

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was really young, my uncle went to wdw in 1989 and bought me back a mickey mouse toy and some mickey ears and he gave me pictures of him and all the characters and from then on I just loved all things disney! Growing up we went to devon or cornwall in the uk as my parents weren't very well off and disney was just a dream destination.
    Christmas of 1999 my brother and I opened all our presents and my parents gave us each a package which was full of wdw park maps and leaflets. My initial reaction was that it was cruel of them to just give us leaflets when they know how desperate we wanted to go! And then the penny dropped...we were going to wdw. We were uncontrollable with excitement and my dad (ukwdwnut) was just as enthusiastic as us! It felt like we had won the lottery and all our dreams had come true.
    Our first trip was the millennium celebrations and my first memory from that trip was all of us standing there looking at the castle for ages. We couldnt believe we were there! We documented every memory on camera and video camera and I love watching it back.
    We have all been hooked ever since and have been every other year since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uncle Walt told me! :D

When he announced it on Disney's Wonderful World of Color.

Since I lived in Florida, I was so excited I couldn't see straight. Just didn't really understand at that time how it was all going to work or why they'd picked that location since Orlando in those days was just a wide spot in the road.

Tom ( ... took a few years till I first visited. They had to build it first!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Lauren, it is so good to see you I was only thinking about you a few weeks ago, wondering how you are and how the plans are coming along xx

Beautiful memories that last forever.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast