Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get a flu shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading lately about a number of deaths resulting from the flu this year, and not just in our older population; but in our young as well. So, it made my curious...do those of you in the U.S. get a flu shot? And for those of you in the U.K., are flu shots offered?

I've never actually had one, as I'm ridiculously afraid of needles...but given what I've been reading, I'm actually considering it this year. Jon and I both had the flu last year (at the same time, along with 38 inches of snow) and, omg, I don't think I've been that miserable in my entire life (All hail Tamiflu, the wonder of wonders ).

So then...thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 329639, member: 61
    So then...thoughts?
    Run. Do not walk, to your doctor, nurse, pharmacy, whatever and get one.

My DW and I swear by them. Get them every year. Religiously. In the 18 years we've been married, neither of us have ever had the flu and realistically don't get hardly any colds either. It may be pie in the sky but we attribute that to the fact that we get flu shots every year. It doesn't hurt that much. May make your arm sore for a day or two afterward but that's about it. It's a really small price to pay for the protection they afford.
    Tom ( ... believer!)

Post Thanks / Like
    No, neither of us get one.

We know too many people that have them and have ended up with the flu anyway.

I also know people that have had them and been ill for months on end so there's no way either of us would have them

Maybe it's a different type of drug in the UK.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get offered one every year by my needle-toting doctor but I've resisted thusfar.

I hate needles and, although I catch a cold every once in a while, I don't really get sick all that often.

*touches head*

Post Thanks / Like
    They're offered free over here for the over 65s (?) and to people with specific medical conditions like asthma or copd. You can pay for a flu shot if you want one and don't qualify for a free one. I toyed with it one year when flu was travelling around the school but managed to get away with avoiding the germs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually get the flu shot every year as it's free with my insurance. I didn't this year. Time sort of flew by and it's practically February now

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    the flu shot you get will depend on what they predict is going to be the Flu that is circulating each year. The Flu virus changes itself over time so it survives so that's why even though you had type A vaccine last year if that's the one this year you'll still need it as it's been adapted.

I usually have it because working with vulnerable people I wouldn't want to pass it on to one of them and also if we have an epidemic then I'm also not ill myself and able to help.

I didn't get mine last year as I missed the first lot for staff then I was on holiday for the mop up, first time in quite a few years. I was extremely ill over Christmas/New Year- not sure that it was flu but it was in bed for nearly a week. This year i was banging down the doors to get mine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 329651, member: 92
    I usually get the flu shot every year as it's free with my insurance. I didn't this year. Time sort of flew by and it's practically February now
    So then, is there a time when it's basically "too late" to get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea really. I would think flu season is close to being over. But I could be wrong

I hate needles as well but getting a shot isn't too bad. It's drawing blood that's the real issue for me

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 329659, member: 92
    No idea really. I would think flu season is close to being over. But I could be wrong

I hate needles as well but getting a shot isn't too bad. It's drawing blood that's the real issue for me
    Ugh. Had that done on Monday...I swear it was like a bad b-movie, "Blood Drawing Debbie and The Curse of the Never Ending Vials."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast