Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic band question

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I guess we will be having the magic bands. Everyone has selected their colour already, 8months out!

Anyway on our last trip both Jess and I were asked for ID to purchase drinks with our meal. All we had was our room card and we were told this wasn't good enough and they wanted to see a passport.

My question really is with these new bands will they act as ID when purchasing drinks with a meal?

The reason I ask is I don't fancy carrying four passports around as way of ID and it seems to defeat the object of having all that information in one place.

Any ideas how it works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo, post: 329839, member: 4855
    Ok so I guess we will be having the magic bands. Everyone has selected their colour already, 8months out!

Anyway on our last trip both Jess and I were asked for ID to purchase drinks with our meal. All we had was our room card and we were told this wasn't good enough and they wanted to see a passport.

My question really is with these new bands will they act as ID when purchasing drinks with a meal?

The reason I ask is I don't fancy carrying four passports around as way of ID and it seems to defeat the object of having all that information in one place.

Any ideas how it works?
    do you have a photo driving licence? that has always worked for us in the past :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 329843, member: 39
    do you have a photo driving licence? that has always worked for us in the past :)
    I do and had trouble last time as it was a uk driving licence and not USA so they wouldn't accept it. They would only accept passport, that was in planet Hollywood at downtown disney.

Also carrying photo I'd surely defeats the object of having the band in the first place?

It's a shame they're not able to check your age via the band and finger prints rather than insisting on photographic ID.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, Oreo! You've been missed!

Unfortunately, even with the bands you can (and may) be asked for proof of age when purchasing alcoholic beverages. When we were there in September for my son's 21st birthday, he was asked quite often. I agree it's a shame they haven't sorted out a better way to do this, but I suppose they are t quite ready to out the biometric scans into the restaurants and such just yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 65 years old and their are places near me that require a photo ID from everyone to buy alcohol. Disney isn't quite this strict but they still reserve that right.
    Technically they are required to accept any valid photo ID with a birth date. But they can request multiple ID'S.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    We've never had a problem using our UK driving licences for ID.
    I tell a lie, I did, once. I went when I was 21, but my birthday is January 11th. Because its written 11.1.80 they wouldn't accept it as the didn't understand we write the dates the other way around. However, Anthony has his and his birthday is 24.5.79, so he showed his to prove our dates are written the other way round :-D this was at an off site restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is another of those icky subjects. The rumour/fact/overheard conversation is that late 2013 Disney instituted a new policy that came out of the discussions around different countries having different style driving licenses so how can a CM know if its a valid government cert and what the date format is and so on.

So rumour has it that Disney has given instructions that only a passport is acceptable.

Now as ever, some places dont ask at all, some places will take anything and some are now demanding passports :(
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    but passports look different... how would they know if it was a fake or not. Someone needs to take a chill pill I think

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way I'm going to carry a passport round. You'd think with all the money they've spent on magic bands, there could be some way of putting a thing to say if you're over 21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 329886, member: 106
    There is no way I'm going to carry a passport round. You'd think with all the money they've spent on magic bands, there could be some way of putting a thing to say if you're over 21.
    True, but then they'd also have to add the biometric scan to everything to ensure you've not just slipped on someone else's band.

When we had Baleigh's passport made last year, we were also able to pay an extra fee ($60 I think?) to have a passport "card" made. The card has all the same info as her passport and is valid in Mexico, the Caribbean and Canada. I wonder if there is something like that in the UK that would be accepted? It would certainly be easier to carry around than your passport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast