Thread: Astronomy pics from Greece

Post Thanks / Like
    As you go further South the stars in the night sky change - makes sense really - One of the great thrills of being an astronomer and travelling is seing things you can't see from your own country.

One of the constellations that is hardest to see from the UK is Scorpio - its main orange star - Antares barely scapes our southern horizons and you will never get to see the lovely double star of a sting in the scopions tail.

The following is a shot taken with the 350d on a tripod with the standard 18- 55mm lens - highish iso for a short burst ( to avoid star trail) light pollution was not good and there was a flippin phone cable in the way :mad:

Now to me this is a lovely shot showing the whole of the constellation and a few unexpected treats -

Jupiter is sitting high to the leftshining brightly and 2 of his moons are just peaking out and there is a feint fuzzy patch just over an inch to the right of Jupiter - we call these 'fuzzies' and this is how you see most deep sky objects even through a telescope - with a bit of research this is the Lagoon nebula.

See what you can grab in one simple frame :D

Just to clarify for you....

Post Thanks / Like
    Again a lot of noise brought in as the file was shrunk :(

Post Thanks / Like
    You can of course decide to leave the shutter open and get a star trail photo - had to go for a low iso as I wanted the village in this so the trails are feint - this is a composite of 3 x 10 minute exposures

Post Thanks / Like
    great pix chris thx for sharing :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thanks for the clarification photo. I'm never too good at picking out the constellations.

You would LOVE being at Gilbert Lake in Central NY. There is something about the night sky there that makes it a haven for sky watchers.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the star trail village shot. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the one showing scorpio.. amazing what you can pick out when you know what youre doing
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the illustration as well. Great photos!!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!