Thread: walkie talkies or pay as you go phones?

Post Thanks / Like
    We did have a pair of walkie talkies from walmart a few years ago but lost in a move. Is it still better to buy some of those or these cheap walmart phones? I've seen some called tracphones or something like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you're starting from scratch, I think I would go with the prepaid cell phones, unless you need a ton of them. For just two--and if calls are kept short--they probably would cost little more than the radios.

That said, not many people seem to be using the radios at WDW any more. They were quite popular in 2003, and the frequencies were quite busy.

If you need same-park communication, the radios probably would be fine. Multiple-park communication probably would be better on prepaid cell phones due to the distance between some of the parks.

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought walkies for our trip last year and then found we could not charge them up in US as voltage or something is different..... ended up not using them I was so dissapointed Dh just laughed as he thought it was a crackpot idea anyhow.....!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sarah

1990 - lived in Buena Ventura Lakes, Kissimmee - Holiday rep.
    2002 - December DLRP Santa Fe (DS birthday)
    2007 - October WDW Radisson Hotel Celebration
    3 weeks.
    2009 - January DLRP Sequoia Lodge

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with mobiles- you can contact each other from broader ranges and no-one's frequency can interfere. We found it hard to talk on our radios, from within the same park
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I find mobiles/cells to be a real problem. Have just spent several very frustrating days trying to keep in touch with family (where are you? where are you now? where are you going)?

The ringers are hard to hear, and unless you carry it on your body, the vibration mode doesn't help much either. Signals at WDW are interfered with frequently while using mobiles, so the calls cut out and break up.

Texting is a little better for understanding, but then you are still left with the "oh I didn't hear it" excuse. :sigh;

We have the two way radios and they seem to work better within the same park. Won't work for all communication, of course.

Personally, I found the "pre-electronic communication" method of pick a place and time and BE THERE to be the most effective means of communication and keeping a group on track.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I have to agree with you, Tink!

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought phones and they were great, it was difficult to hear them when they rang though especially when the ring tone was different to my usual phone

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    GMRS radios have gotten better over the years, with greater range (in miles line of sight) and there isn't a lot of traffic on the channels. You can pick up a pair her in the states for around $50. Could be a good alternative to trackphone. Here is a dumb question. Do UK and US have similar batteries? Most of the radios work with our AA batteries (1.5 v). What of UK radios?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the mobile you currently have not work in the US?