Thread: Oh. My. Goodness!

Post Thanks / Like
    A completely unpredicted, dilly of a storm blew in last night, bringing 85 mph winds (I think it was only around 70 mph here) and hail. In August!

Of course, it is the monsoon season and, like hurricane season, storms are always possible, regardless of the forecast. And this one pounded us for over two hours beginning around 9:30 p.m. or so. Lots of damage and power outages throughout the Valley, but this area didn't lose power. Thank goodness!

As soon as I wake up a bit more, I'm going outside to survey the mess and begin cleaning up. Have a feeling its going to occupy the entire weekend--I can see some green where it shouldn't be! I checked the interior of the house last night before I went to bed and again this morning a few minutes ago. Everything seems to be intact.

More storms predicted through Sunday. :sigh;

We need the rain--we've been in a ten-year drought--but it would be nice to get it a bit at a time and not dumped in just a few days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Eek! You don't expect places like Arizona to get storms like that. Hope there's not too much damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    umm no a dump would not be good....can anyone say land slides??!?! A nice constant drizzle would be good for about an hour everyday...yea right...I live in the desert too...when we get rain we get RAIN

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been watching the local news while waking up.

Most of the serious damage seems to be in the southern part of the Valley, but power lines and trees are down throughout the Valley. I live in the northern part of the Valley.

Landslides/mudslides are less a problem in most of the Valley than other areas, PA. We do have some "mountains" (hills by SoCal standards), so they are potential hazards. We have more issues with flooding.

BTW, if you ever hear about or see that "Indian Bend Wash has flooded," it's designed to do that! It's one of the primary north/south drainage washes. It's amazing how many people who live here don't realize that is the purpose of the wash and are appalled when it happens!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scary! Especially as you didn't know the storm was coming! Hope you don't have any damage Taja.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Damage update:

Lost a 20' ocotillo out front. Wind definitely was blowing east to west! The thing just keeled over to the west! Based on what I managed to do in two hours this morning (filled two 39-gallon trash bags), it will take me about 10 days to remove it. That's primarily weekends, so we're looking at three or four weeks. :sigh; I know I said I need more exercise, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind!

The back is primarily debris. I'm removing the largest stuff from the yard first, as well as stuff in the pool. The temperature is increasing, and so is the humidity--and the sun is beating down without many clouds--so it's too yucky to stay out there for long periods of time. I'm doing 20 minutes or so each session, then cooling off for an hour or so. Slow going. :sigh;

The forecast has been revised for storms through Tuesday. There's stuff moving up from Mexico that's projected to collide with stuff coming down from the north. Anything can happen--or not! I'm just hoping it won't be as violent as last night.

PHX had to close two of the three runways due to the storm. They're operating with one runway, so flights are seriously backed up going into the holiday weekend.

It's going to be an interesting few days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Taja! Why don't you just sit back and maybe another storm will blow the rest of your debris away..;) I wish we could get SOME rain..it's horribly dry here again this summer..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthemouse, post: 40983
    Wow Taja! Why don't you just sit back and maybe another storm will blow the rest of your debris away..;) I wish we could get SOME rain..it's horribly dry here again this summer..
    Knowing my luck, it would just blow all of it into the pool!

Pool is looking decent and the larger debris has been removed from the back yard. I'm too tired to do any more today. It's a bit like shoveling snow when one isn't accustomed to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard about this storm! We had some of our AZ family here, but the one who wasn't called and gave the details. Quite a surprise!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That it was, Tink! Snapped a number of power poles in two, resulting in downed power lines and road closures.

I was talking to my cousin's wife Friday night and heard two loud cracks of thunder. Then someone pulled a lever and the sky opened and dumped a wall of water for about 15 minutes. Someone pulled the lever again and the rain stopped!

Nothing subtle about the desert!