Thread: 2009 Major US Holidays

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywatcher had a very good question about holidays in February that might affect a WDW visit.

I just printed out the following information from timeanddate.com. You can customize the calendar to include many different types of holidays--or none!

Remember, various states and school districts will have additional holidays.

January 1, 2009 New Year's Day
    January 16, 2009 Lee-Jackson Day (Virginia only)
    January 19, 2009 Martin Luther King Day
    February 14, 2009 Valentine's Day
    February 16, 2009 President's Day
    April 12, 2009 Easter Sunday
    May 25, 2009 Memorial Day
    July 3, 2009 Independence Day (observed)
    July 4, 2009 Independence Day
    September 7, 2009 Labor Day
    October 12, 2009 Columbus Day
    October 31, 2009 Halloween
    November 11, 2009 Veteran's Day
    November 26, 2009 Thanksgiving Day
    November 27, 2009 Black Friday (massive shopping day)
    December 25, 2009 Christmas Day

If anyone notices any errors, please let me know and I'll correct them. :)

Happy planning!

Added the Lee-Jackson holiday and Black Friday, which is the day after Thanksgiving. For the uninitiated, it's a massive shopping day that theoretically puts many retailers "in the black" for the year. Not everyone is off that day, but a good portion of the US population is, so it's a significant factor for booking Thanksgiving weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great list - thanks Taja!

Just some questions out of interest

Do you get days off for Halloween and Valentines day?

Do you not get a day for Good Friday before Easter Sunday?

I'm thinking we definitely need a few more over here!

:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Halloween and Valentine's day, no. I don't think they are school or business holidays.

Good Friday? Good question! Most businesses in the Phoenix area don't observe it, although individuals may choose to schedule personal or vacation time. I don't believe most of our public schools observe it, either. Not sure about other states.

However, it's going to be within the span of that nasty thing called Spring Break.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Good Friday is a religious holiday it will not be celebrated at either the state or national level. Catholic Schools are most likely the only schools that would be closed unless it just happens to fall in line with their Easter break.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    OK explain July 3rd to me as opposed to July 4th.

Post Thanks / Like
    July 4th is a Saturday... So they get the day before off as a public holiday!

Its like when Christmas / Boxing day fall on a saturday / Sunday. We get the Monday/Tuesday off as public holidays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh didn't realise it was a weekend.

But the Declaration of Independence was actually signed on 2nd July. They didn't think to tell anyone until the 4th. :rofl:

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone wants to add any other dates--half term, Jersey Week, Spring Break, etc., be sure to post.

I'll add them to the original post. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    I get everyone of those days off except Halloween, Valentines Day. I also get off a Virginia only holiday of Lee-Jackson Day which will be Jan 16, 2009. It's always the Friday before MLK day. The Governor gives us the day after Thanksgiving as well. We usually get Christmas Eve and NYE also.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some agencies here in Florida that do give Good Friday off. Not just RC related ones, either.

Although it won't much impact WDW, many places allow employees to take their birthday off too.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle