Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where were you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was teaching first bell oceanography class at Great Bridge High School in Chesapeake. The AP biology teacher was watching the morning news while kids were busy in a lab and walked through the shared prep room and called me over to whisper what has just happened. I sort of blanked out and wanted to go over and see but I had to get through my lesson, I thought what a horrific and tragic accident (I couldn't understand how a plane could hit the towers though by accident). I sort of glazed over, put on a game face of a teacher and went on with the lessons. The kids could tell something was amiss. A few minutes later, the teacher came back to whisper again that a second plane hit the second tower. I put down my lesson, and tried to tell the students what happened. I hope to never see again in my life the look I saw on their young faces. I told them that I would turn on the television and they were aghast. The rest of the day was surreal. Later the administration thought it best to shut down the CC television as students were certainly most alarmed. Parents started showing up to pick up their students. Frantic calls on busy cell phones were overheard every where. One girl's father worked in the second tower and was totally grief stricken. I don't think that her father died, he was one of the lucky ones.

That was one of the bleakest days in my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got home from work and phone rang, DH telling me to switch on TV. Sky News was on for the rest of the day - could not believe what I was watching. We had been in 'Windows of The World' bar at the top of the WTC only months earlier :(

1997 - Newport Bay Club -DLP
    1998 & 1999 - Disneyland Hotel & Sequoia Lodge- DLP
    2000 - Caribbean Beach Resort WDW
    2001 & 2002 - Newport Bay Club -DLP
    2003 - Hotel New York - DLP
    2004 - Grand Floridian - WDW
    2005 - Hotel New York - DLRP
    2006 - Grand Floridian - WDW
    2007 - Yacht Club - WDW
    2008 - Disneyland Hotel, DLRP
    2009 - Yacht Club WDW, HRH & BLT
    2010 - Beach Club WDW

Post Thanks / Like
    I was working in a busy private nursery, we heard it on the radio, they stayed on the rest of the day, even the little ones seemed to notice that something was far wrong and were quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know? I can't even get through this thread without welling up with tears that overflow.

I still can't go to Ground Zero. I can't even look out of the plane at the NYC skyline when flying into Newark, or other local airports.

I will never forget the sight of ash and dust covered people walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. Never.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It saddened me to see on the news that they haven't even started on the memorial garden and museum yet. :(
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    I visited New York many years back and stood down by the Staten Island Ferry Terminal and stared back at the skyline dominated by those two towers. They really are not there anymore are they. Still so hard to believe that they're gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    watching sky news as it all unfolded and couldnt believe what i was seeing

Post Thanks / Like
    The towers were backdrops for many movies and television shows. They used the image as an establishing shot. Now when I see those older movies, or television shows (many movies and shows have been post edited, but not all of them) I get so sad and then really really angry. I guess for many of us still feel some sort of wounding.

Post Thanks / Like
    They've opened a memorial at the Pentagon today. We're planning on visiting next week with my mom and sister.

http://memorial.pentagon.mil/

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Buying Thomas his first pair of shoes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast