Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crock pot mac & cheese

Post Thanks / Like
    And let's not forget hot biscuits with the crisp exterior and cloud soft interiors. :sigh;

You know? This is just torture! :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my. I used to help my grandmother rooooooooooooooooooooooooll 'em out and then we'd use her plastic tupperware cup to cut them.....I was always a MESS when we were done..and my grandfather would just laaaaaaaaaaaaugh at me :D

Torture INDEED!!! Guess though, it's better to TALK about it then EAT it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I guess it is!

My grandmother (and my dear friend Lareeta, a true southern woman in her own right) made biscuits like this.

Using one of those big old crank sifters, they'd sift flower into the bowl (Martha White Self Rising, of course!) make a well in the dry ingredients add a handful of fat (usually Crisco for Lareeta, but sometimes my grandmother would use other fat) mix by hand and then break off bits and shape the biscuits. They didn't roll them out.

I do it either way. If I want them for company, or other presentation I do the roll and cut, but if it's for family I do the free hand shape and put them (touching) in a glass pie plate).

Is it time to talk about smooth, rich, savory gravy yet? :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    ABSOLUTELY!!! What are biscuits without gravy?!?!?! LOL.

The first time I brought Jon "home" to meet my family, my mom made breakfast...the works...the gravy started going 'round the table and Jon leaned over and whispered in my ear "What am I supposed to put that 'sauce' on?" My dad heard him. I still don't think he's lived it down.

I remember...when my grandmother was in a hurry (read: I wasn't in the kitchen :) ) she would sometimes make what she called "drop biscuits" which sounds very much like the ones you describe...years later and I'm pretty sure she made the roll and cut type simply to spend a bit of time with me ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh meant to say...my grandmother would always make her gravy with the "drippings" from the bacon she had just fried....

*sigh* I'm pretty sure my arteries are clogging just talking about this :D

Post Thanks / Like
    They are sort of drop like. You break off a bit of the dough (keeping all bits the same size) and with a little flour in your hand, knead the dough about three to four times to shape and smooth it, pat into a circle and lay it in the pie plate.

Poor Jon! I don't mean to laugh (as I truly am a northerner, not a southerner) but that is really funny! :D

The first time I saw a woman mix scrambled eggs in her bowl of white stuff, I asked why in the world anyone would want to mix eggs with cream of wheat! It was of course, grits.

Mmmmmmm, cheesey grits and shrimp with just a touch of bacon, eh? :D (The only grits I like, and don't cringe-they have to be the little packets of the quick grits. I don't like "real" grits).

Post Thanks / Like
    LOLOL! Oh yes! My arteries are clogging and I am putting on weight with just the conversation alone! :D

Banana pudding anyone? :D

Post Thanks / Like
    PSSSSSSSSSSST...I'm an intstant grits sort, too....and they HAVE to be HOT...I canNOT stand cold or tepid grits BLECH.

Jon lived through it...and about eight biscuits later he said, "WOW. You people know how to eat."

Pass the pudding...and I'll have some more coffee too :D

Post Thanks / Like
    :D LOL.

Now, let's talk about something I consider very northern and my single favorite pie of all time. :D

RHUBARB pie with that coffee, Miss Becca? :D :D

Post Thanks / Like
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH HEAVEN...I'll take two slices. The "rhubarbery" the better. My appetite knows no geographical boundaries.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast