Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question regarding ethical matter

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I've been reading about Hurricane Ike all week. I saw in the last several days where people were told to evacuate or face "certain death". Many, many people chose to stay and ride it out. Now I am reading that these same people are begging for rescue help.

My question is, if you have been warned and you choose not to heed said warning.....do you think it is anyone's responsibility to bail you out?

My big, generous heart says we have a moral obligation to help those who cannot/will not help themselves.

The other tiny part of me that can't abide stupidity thinks they made their bed......

What do you think?

Also, would you leave if you had been issued this warning? My butt would have been out of there!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    i think that everyone has the right to make an unwise decision. We all make mistakes and i think it's a bit tough to say ok you screwed up now you must suffer. Having said that i don't think their decisions should put others at risk and i have a problem bailing people out who continue to screw up!

not much help lol, i love ethical debates:p015:

about leaving, the last year we were in Charleston there was the threat of a hurricane but it hit further north, my friend and i had hotel rooms booked in country about a week before and had planned what we would take so yes i would evacuate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given how big and where he hit...I wouldv'e have run too. And that's saying alot considering I've ridden out Gustav and Katrina plus drove thru Rita.

As for those that stayed....If they stayed in a mandatory evac area, that was suicide...murder if they kept anyone with them. I firmly believe that anyone that kept thier children in harms way should face charges of child endangerment at the least. I know the trauma..been there done that....You have to be INSANE to face a hurricane of that nature then have the nerve to wonder why rescue can't get to you just yet. Rescue will get to them when it's safe enough to do so. May God have mercy on them...I would not want to be in thier shoes at all right now.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you warn honestly and truthfully then you accept that people are people and if you CAN provide assistance, you do. I would have left for sure yep.

Sometimes people just keep hoping no matter how much advice they get :( It's not a perfect fit but I'm reminded of a quote from the west wing

"You know, you remind me of the man that lived by the river. He heard a radio report that the river was going to rush up and flood the town. And that all the residents should evacuate their homes.

But the man said, 'I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.' The waters rose up.

A guy in a row boat came along and he shouted, 'Hey, hey you! You in there. The town is flooding. Let me take you to safety.' But the man shouted back, 'I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.'

A helicopter was hovering overhead. And a guy with a megaphone shouted, 'Hey you, you down there. The town is flooding. Let me drop this ladder and I'll take you to safety.' But the man shouted back that he was religious, that he prayed, that God loved him and that God will take him to safety.

Well... the man drowned. And standing at the gates of St. Peter, he demanded an audience with God. 'Lord,' he said, 'I'm a religious man, I pray. I thought you loved me. Why did this happen?'

God said, 'I sent you a radio report, a helicopter, and a guy in a rowboat. What the hell are you doing here?"
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    lol Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an interesting point you bring up catz. I wonder how many people made their children stay with them? I did read about a wife and kids leaving but the husband refused to go. He's an adult so I can understand his justification. I do think it's very selfish of him to do that to his family.

I wonder WHY people stay. Do you think it's because they don't think it's going to be as bad as predicted? They don't have the resources to leave (like many in New Orleans)? They are afraid of looters after the storm? They have a need to face this thing head on?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it that these people could leave but chose not to, or is it that like many in New Orleans they have no means of getting out.

I would have left and if anyone kept their family in their home in a mandatory evac area they should be arrested. There's the issue of the rescuers safety to consider too - why should they risk their safety to help people who had the chance to get out and didn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 47780
    I think you warn honestly and truthfully then you accept that people are people and if you CAN provide assistance, you do. I would have left for sure yep.

Sometimes people just keep hoping no matter how much advice they get :( It's not a perfect fit but I'm reminded of a quote from the west wing

"You know, you remind me of the man that lived by the river. He heard a radio report that the river was going to rush up and flood the town. And that all the residents should evacuate their homes.

But the man said, 'I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.' The waters rose up.

A guy in a row boat came along and he shouted, 'Hey, hey you! You in there. The town is flooding. Let me take you to safety.' But the man shouted back, 'I'm religious. I pray. God loves me. God will save me.'

A helicopter was hovering overhead. And a guy with a megaphone shouted, 'Hey you, you down there. The town is flooding. Let me drop this ladder and I'll take you to safety.' But the man shouted back that he was religious, that he prayed, that God loved him and that God will take him to safety.

Well... the man drowned. And standing at the gates of St. Peter, he demanded an audience with God. 'Lord,' he said, 'I'm a religious man, I pray. I thought you loved me. Why did this happen?'

God said, 'I sent you a radio report, a helicopter, and a guy in a rowboat. What the hell are you doing here?"
    I've seen this same one about winning the lottery and God said you should have bought a ticket!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think people stay to protect their homes from possible looters . If there is anything left to protect . Then there are people that don't heed the warning thinking it will not be as bad even with the warnings . And then the hurricane roars ashore and they that did stay realize they made a mistake and are now scared to death . As brit said, people make mistakes and deserve to be helped once its safe to be rescued . I don't think people should expect others to risk their lives while the storm is ongoing .
    If it were me , would I pack up my family and pets and leave , you bet I would . I would have left days before .

Keith that was good !

Post Thanks / Like
    I think maybe somne people are scared of looters? I would have to go back and give them help yes. We all make mistakes whether big or small. Edited to add... I didn't readf the replies becvause I didn't wwant to be swayed by others opinions but now see that others have posted the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast