Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question regarding ethical matter

Post Thanks / Like
    and sorry I havent just suddenly become a bad speller... I have new nails on.. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Florida, if you stay in an area under madatory evacaution, you are told beforehand that if you need help it will only be forthcoming when it is safe to get it to you. You may be stranded days without power, food, or water.

I've evacuated, and I've stayed (not under mandatory evacuation though). I think staying is in part the fear of not being able to "save" your home if you aren't there. Some folks think that if the roof goes, or windows break and they are there, they can put a tarp on or what have you. What they don't realize is that you aren't going to do ANYTHING until that storm is over, so being there to forestall damage doesn't wash.

I learned that during Charley when our little sapling blew down. We went out in the storm to try and right it and tie it down. Riiiiiiiiight. Needless to say it ended up on the ground until the storm was over.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoooohoooo! FANCY outfit! :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I've often thought of the very same question...and there are times when I'm far less compassionate than I should be and say, "They were warned. Their consequences are their own." In my heart of hearts though I know that if I were able to reach them, I would. I guess my opinion is if they were in a mandatory evac area, had the ways and means to evac and CHOSE not to...then yes, if possible and if it can be done safely, they should be rescued. I also think they should be charged...we charge for ambulance transports and ER visits...this is really no different. Charge them for the cost they incurred by not adhering to the warning. Sometimes the wallet is the only place people have ears.

Would *I* evacuate? Hell yes. In a moment. I guess my theory is "Pray for a miracle, but row for the shore."

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading you post, Bec and thinking Yeah, Right, if you could get to them, you know you would ... but you redeemed yourself . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts are that they were given a firm warning far enough in advance. I would have left. And as far as looters are concerned, stuff can be replaced. People can't.

I do agree that people who chose to stay and kept children with them should be charged with child endangerment. Or atleast slapped around a bit for being so short-sighted as to put their children at risk...
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no viable excuse for endangering your children like this. For instance, when Gustav was comming in a fishing boat down on the coast in Louisiana had all family members aboard, including thier children. The news crews begged them to let them take the kids with them when the adults refused to go with them. I am still trying to find out what happened to that family.You can't think of your kids and hand them off to the news crews or national guard or firemen or anybody else that is begging you to let them have the children so they can get them to a safe place?Your rear end should be locked up...smacked around then locked up...
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as Ike's initial winds began to reach the area near Galveston (Seaside?), several people called 911 and wanted to be rescued. I believe they were able to rescue 8 people before the winds were too strong for safety. When a CNN reporter asked the rescued father and his adult children why they had stayed after the mandatory evacuation was issued with the additional warning about "certain death," they said "I don't know."

A number of people stayed in the Galveston area with their children. Have to agree with those who say they should be charged with child endangerment, if only due to potential emotional issues.

One lesson learned with Katrina was to provide transportation for those needing it during a mandatory evacuation. All during that evacuation I kept asking why they didn't use school buses a few days prior to the storm to evacuate those who didn't have transportation. We all know what happened there. Apparently those in charge of the evacuation were too close to the problem to see clearly.

Mandatory evacuation was much better with both Gustav and Ike. There were all kinds of systems in place to evacuate those with financial needs (no personal transportation), special needs or medical conditions (some during Ike didn't go as well as planned, as they neglected to verify that the emergency shelter selected could take seniors needing assistance), but they did manage to get everyone to safety.

Let's hope more lessons were learned from these two hurricanes and will be applied to future emergencies. And let's hope that people use common sense, as well! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 47784
    Is it that these people could leave but chose not to, or is it that like many in New Orleans they have no means of getting out.
    good point, if they didnt then they need help to be rescued if they had no means to leave if they didnt have a vehicle.

if the above is true, doesnt anyone come to help them, like the army or anyone, if not thats disgusting, to just leave people to die

if safe to do so they should be rescued, you cant just leave people to die no matter what the circumstance
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    They started evacuating people days ahead of the storm. Everyone was offered a way out. They took those who could not take themselves. Those that stayed, chose to...

It's funny, on the news this morning they are talking to people they have rescued since the storm, and they're all saying that they were sorry that they didn't evacuate.....
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast