Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if your house was flooded/on fire, what would you save?

Post Thanks / Like
    The flooding photos made me really think. If YOU had just 5 minutes to grab things and get out, what things would you save from your house?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any person or pets first.....then my photos and personal videos.

Post Thanks / Like
    what Isafari said .

Post Thanks / Like
    We keep a small hard sided case with our important papers. I would grab that, of course and then with great sadness walk away. :( Saving lives is far more important than any material thing. Although, the loss of personal photos would be the hardest, I believe. You can't recreate or buy replacements for those, eh?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just thinking, Tink, I know Dangerous . With most pictures digital nowadays and on your computer , you could or would be able to still have your pictures . I forgot about my safe box . Yes, I'd take that too . Now maybe I should throw my photo CD's in there .

Post Thanks / Like
    People, pets and Disney things, in that order :p015:
    Jacqui xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I save most of mine to CDs so a simple matter to grab and go, but I'm thinking of the old ones, of Mama and other relatives that could not be replaced. Those would be hard to lose.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    After the pipe burst in the ceiling of the master suite in January, 2007, I soon organized the essential things in waterproof envelopes. Well, ZipLoc bags, as well as some of the compression bags, all of which are in a fire-resistant safe with a carrier nearby. The safe can be opened quickly and the contents tucked inside the carrier for transport.

What's in the safe? Nothing valuable to a thief!

House related documents: Deed, mortgage, insurance.

Vehicle related documents: Title, insurance (paid off, thank goodness!)

Personal documents: Birth & death certificates, passport, medical information, etc.

Photos: About two dozen special photos in archival paper, then placed in ZipLoc bags. Humidity isn't an issue here, so they should be safe.

Contact information: A list of names, account/policy numbers, telephone & fax numbers, and email addresses. That includes utilities and anything that has to be paid regularly, as well as family and friends.

A small--and I do mean small!--amount of cash. We typically have some warning of natural disasters, so it's usually possible to obtain what's needed in advance.

I'm usually the only one here, but if I had guests, they would be evacuated first, then the "box." After that, my laptop and a small printer, geek bag, contact lenses/eyeglasses and a few changes of clothing and toiletries. If space and time permit, probably a sewing machine and serger (what can I say--they're an important part of my life!). Then secure everything, pray for everyone's safety, say a sad farewell to the house and head out in my trusty little vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 48675
    Yes, I save most of mine to CDs so a simple matter to grab and go, but I'm thinking of the old ones, of Mama and other relatives that could not be replaced. Those would be hard to lose.
    Tink, I've started photographing my precious old photos and then storing them on my laptop. :)
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhhh, that is a nice idea! Do they come out good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast