Thread: American Idol Experience to be delayed

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Jim Hill Media = Speaking of Imagineering ... The guys from WDI quietly put out the word late last week that the opening date for Disney's Hollywood Studios' newest attraction -- the "American Idol Experience" -- has been pushed back from January of 2009 to the Spring of next year.

Why For the delay? Well ... As I understand it, the retooling of the interior of the old "Superstar Television" Theater is taking far longer than Disney originally expected. Which -- given how large & lavish the sets for the "American Idol Experience" are supposed to be -- isn't really all that much of a surprise.

I also hear that Disney Parks -- working with 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, the co-producers of the "American Idol" television series -- has hatched this elaborate promotional plan for the "American Idol Experience." Which involves this new DHS attraction being prominently displayed and/or mentioned as part of each episode of AI that airs on Fox in the coming season.

This promotional effort will culminate in late May of 2009 when the winner of next season's "American Idol" is named. The very next day (or thereabouts), this individual will then be flown down to Walt Disney World so that they can then take part in the grand opening of the "American Idol Experience." Which will (in theory, anyway) garner lots of free publicity for Disney's Hollywood Studios' newest attraction.

Mind you, this doesn't mean WDW Entertainment still won't be holding AIE soft opening sometime in the last winter / early spring of 2009. The way I hear it, those folks want six to eight weeks of daily performances under their belt before they then invite the press in to check out DHS's newest attraction.

The only wildcard here is ... Well, because AIE was originally scheduled to open in January of 2009, DHS managers then felt justified in cutting "Fantasmic !" back to just two days of performances during that exact same time period. But now that the "American Idol Experience" 's soft opening has been pushed back by at least a few weeks, one wonders if Disney World officials will now revisit their earlier decision? Perhaps return Disney's Hollywood Studios' nighttime extravaganza to its rightful seven-days-a-week spot on that theme park's entertainment schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awe....I was one of the few who was looking forward to seeing that next trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really excited about this...But then again, I'm not a real fan of the TV series either..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthemouse, post: 49407
    Not really excited about this...But then again, I'm not a real fan of the TV series either..
    Well, personally I feel that the only way they are going to get any of us to do that is to move it next to the magarita stand in Epcot. After a few of those, I would take on Simon. :champers1:

1997- All Star Sports
    1998- Universal Studios
    1999- Renaissance Orlando Resort SeaWorld
    2000- Port Orleans
    2003- Pop Century
    2004- Days Inn International Drive
    2006- Give Kids The World
    2007- Cornado Springs
    2008- Disney Wonder
    2008- Fort Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneywishmom, post: 50245
    Well, personally I feel that the only way they are going to get any of us to do that is to move it next to the magarita stand in Epcot. After a few of those, I would take on Simon. :champers1:
    Ya know..I could see you doing that!!
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...