Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how old were you on your first trip?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was 30 years old. I loved it at first meeting. Had the sinking feeling after leaving it on that first drip of PDD...post Disney Depression. Had a similar feeling after seeing the NY World's Fair as a boy. I knew I could never go back to the World's Fair...but I could go back to Disney and have. BTW..my daughter has that same gene...she gets depressed after leaving every time. Her first trip was at the age of 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first visit to Disneyland was in 1955--two weeks after it opened! I was three years old!

Based on age, my memories are a bit sketchy. I do remember that my cousin, DC, was 12 years old and "did not want to go to a kid's park!." He sulked about it the first week of their visit--strange thing to remember, isn't it? Disneyland and theme parks were a new concept, so no one knew what to expect.

I remember riding the tram from the parking lot to the park entrance and being afraid I would slide of the seat while the tram was in motion! Not likely to happen--my father had me securely anchored! Then there was the interminable wait while he purchased admission and ride ticket books.

Dumbo! I was far too young to ride alone and my mother didn't do heights. Ever. Period. If she couldn't reach it from the ground, she didn't do it. So my father had the honor. He was fine with heights, but hated going in circles! Let's just say we had the lowest flying Dumbo!

The carousel! I loved it! The sight, the sounds! And slow speed! DC fell in love with the Autopia--that saved the entire trip for him! I vaguely remember hanging out around the area for some time, but my mother and aunt took my cousin JC (age 9 at the time) and I on the teacups and something else--can't remember what--while my uncle and father waited for DC.

The fireworks. Absolutely incredible. No music or narration at the time, but the display was huge! At that time, everyone still had their own Independence Day fireworks. If there were community fireworks, we weren't aware of them, so this was stupendous!

The last thing we did was ride the train around the park. I was terrified of the diorama--what can I say? All those dinosaurs just waiting to devour me! That became our family tradition--last attraction of the day was to ride the train around the park, then leave.

First visit to WDW: 1981 as an adult. You can do the math! I was there Labor Day weekend--Saturday through Monday, returning home on Tuesday. It was tagged onto the end of an east coast business trip.

MK was the only park--it was Walt Disney World. The Magic Kingdom was still Disneyland at that time! EPCOT was under construction and I was able to take the monorail to a platform built near the geodesic sphere that became Spaceship Earth. Had no clue what it was going to be at the time!

Quite honestly, I was a bit disappointed in MK compared to Disneyland at the time. It was much larger, but seemed rather two-dimensional in comparison. Very spread out with a lot of space between attractions. Still, there was a lot to do and I had a wonderful time.

I think my favourite was River Country, as I had been to only one other water park (Big Surf), and it was strictly a wave pool with a beach. River Country was a lot of fun!

Nothing really stands out, other than WDW transportation. That was a novelty--Disneyland had the Main Street vehicles and monorail, all of which actually were attractions rather than strictly transportation. Everything was well within walking distance at Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That's a lot of memories for a three year old! Interesting that the spaces at WDW's MK are interpreted in that manner. I always enjoy reading another persons' perspective!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 49966
    I was 21 :p015:
    Me too!!! I always wanted to go as a child. I grew up watching all the Disney Sunday night specials. Disney also liked to torture me with "backstage" highlights of new rides. I remember watching a whole clip about the Haunted Mansion. I begggeeedd my parents to take me. We have never gone on a family vaca. So during my senior year of college I saved money and took myself to disney for spring break (with another disney friend). So, I am taking my parents for the first time this year. My parents are in their 60's. This will be our first family vaca (with my parents). My kids are thrilled!:sigs-tv-010::smiley4::smiley3::sigs-cartoon-005:

1997- All Star Sports
    1998- Universal Studios
    1999- Renaissance Orlando Resort SeaWorld
    2000- Port Orleans
    2003- Pop Century
    2004- Days Inn International Drive
    2006- Give Kids The World
    2007- Cornado Springs
    2008- Disney Wonder
    2008- Fort Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like
    DWM,
    I could have written your post! I always wanted to go to WDW. My parents said it was "too expensive" so we never went. I have always loved all things Disney and watched all of the tv shows, etc. I took myself as an adult. I didn't get back to WDW after that first trip in 1996 until 2002. I took my dad in 2003. I took my sister in 2005. I took my mom and my sister in 2006. My sister came with us again in 2007. It would be so awesome if we could all go at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was in 1990 and i was 19. I had been desperate to go since being a little girl. My parents were not bothered. In my first job i saved and saved. I went with my BF (who is now my Husband). I was so excited to see the castle and Mickey. Bought every single plush i could find. We came back and booked to go again in 1991 but had to cancel as we decided to get married instead. So we went back in 1992 for our honeymoon. Had 2 weeks in Orlando and a week at clearwater. My parents who weren't bothered about Disney went in 1991 because i had gone on and on , about how good it was.
    We didn't get back to WDW until 2003 and then 2006. We went wto DLRP in 1998 but haven't been back again as it seems so expensive in comparision to WDW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I was 33, went with 2 other families, we stayed at FW. I had the oldest child at 15, the youngest was 3. What a great family time, will always be my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 50276
    Wow! That's a lot of memories for a three year old! Interesting that the spaces at WDW's MK are interpreted in that manner. I always enjoy reading another persons' perspective!
    You notice most of them were fear or awe! The mundane pretty much escaped me--except for DC's fascination with Autopia! I mainly remember having to hang around waiting for him--he used two of his tickets (I think it was a C), and two each from my uncle and father--six rides!

Remember, in 1981 MK still had a lot of open space. It still has open space, just not as much as it did then. It felt as though someone had taken Disneyland and spread it out--a lot!

These days I prefer WDW to Disneyland/CA, for the most part. It's become more of a destination then a day or two in the parks. Serious down time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 49968
    i was 43 and fell in love with the place and orlando as a whole. wish i could live here
    i have been a disney fan since a kid...grew up with Mickey Mouse club etc...first trip was when my oldest niece was in a dance group that was chosen to dance in the magic kingdom...and i was 42 years old....i loved it so much i was there last summer for my 60th birthday....and it was my 25th trip...

funny part--i always looked at the travel brochures and thought the trip would be too expensive....but then i found the all star resorts......and always pricing my next trip....no overtime right now at work...no hours at the part time job so this year is not looking to promising but want to retire next year....so that can be my retirement gift to me
    SusanM o A REAL MOUSE JUNKIE

Aug 1994 - off site
    Caribbean Beach - 8/95
    All Star Music - 4/19- 12/97 -9/98 - 4/99 - 2/00 - 2/03 4/04 - 7/12
    All Star Sports - 12/96 - 12/97 - 9/00
    Downtown Disney Resort Travelodge - 4/97
    Coronado Springs - 6/98
    All Star Movies - 9/99 - 11/99 - 7/01 - 10/01- 11/02
    Pop Century - 10/01 -- 06/04--05/05 - 8/11
    Port Orleans Riverside - 7/02
    All Star Sports - 10/03-- 11/06

Post Thanks / Like
    What a nice retirement gift to give yourself Susan

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12