Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought about my UK friends last night

Post Thanks / Like
    Took my DW and DD out to see My Fair Lady at the Wells Theater in Norfolk last night. It was awesome. Well the story must be well known to most in here, but for those who don't know, a flower girl, Eliza with a terrific Cockney accent, is selected for a bit of an experiment. A professor Higgins is set to transform the poor, uneducated girl into a "lady" of proper means. Great music, wonderful story and to my American English ear, great dialects. So my daughter says after the play, I am going to be speaking with an English accent for days now. She said how she loves British accents. We start talking about how most Americans would buy anything that a Brit would hawk on television. :p015:

They we start talking about how we can do all the different British accents (Cockney to the upper crust ones) and guess that Brits can do American accents too. Right?;)

We do afterall speak the same language. Right? Dawn's post made me think otherwise...I had to read it over and over to think what is Boots..what is Woolies?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about our UK friends last night too. But, I was watching a Barbara Walters special on the Royal Family.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mum! Now it is becoming clearer:p015:

Guess we could have our own version of Pygmalia here too with all the dialects from across the US...
    Souther drawl
    Brooklyn
    Southie from Boston
    Downeaster from Maine
    Chicaago
    I hate to even think about the dialet from my native Northeastern Pennsylvania
    How about Sarah Palin's Alaskan/Minnesotan one?

It was interesting that Professor Higgins could tell the part of England the person on the street was from just by the dialect. He claimed in the show that he could get within 2 to 3 miles of where they were from. I wasn't trained to pick out the English dialect well, but I guess it could be done just as easily with American dialects. (Yes I do realize it was a play.)

Are there any American dialects that are more appealing to the British ear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 50102
    I was thinking about our UK friends last night too. But, I was watching a Barbara Walters special on the Royal Family.
    Yeah that would do it! Johnie when you read the posts to yourself, do you "hear" the voice with an accent? Just wondering

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall when I used to visit the States quite a lot on business and very often someone [usually female] would say to me and my colleagues "I just love your accent".
    After this happened a few times I found myself saying in response "Thank you, but I don`t have an accent. I speak English, it`s you who has the accent!"...this usually went straight over the head of the recipient!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 50141
    Yeah that would do it! Johnie when you read the posts to yourself, do you "hear" the voice with an accent? Just wondering
    sometimes I do!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my English professors, who was an English man, could do that also. Based on a person's accent, he could tell you where in the UK they are from. I can separate, England, from Wales, from Scotland, from Ireland, and maybe even pick out Cork from Galway from Dublin, but that's about it. Oh, and Der 'Pool of course, but everyone can pick that one out, eh?

Yes, same here too. I can tell where someone hail's from (or at least was raised) based on their accents. I have a weird one. It's traces of Maine with overlay of French Canadian, and Adirondacks. Thanks Gramps! :D

One of the funniest conversations I ever heard was between two Seabees. One was from Boston (North End) and the other was from the hills of Tennessee (can you say TWANG!!!)? Absolutely hysterical!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Tennessee twang and my very favourite is the Mississippi drawl.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are massive differences in local dialects in the UK - hard to explain on a forum but happy to talk to anyone on the phone for 1/2 an hour if they like.

But I don't have an accent, i speak the Queens English

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast