Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thought about my UK friends last night

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 50079
    in Norfolk last night.

She said how she loves British accents. We start talking about how most Americans would buy anything that a Brit would hawk on television. :p015:
    from the other Norfolk. :)

Accents story: DH and I were hurrying to catch a bus at DTD but he just went straight past the stop, leaving us and 3 girls standing there. I said, "Oh, bother!" and the girls laughed and started asking us where we were from and saying how much they loved our accents. They all practised saying, "Oh, bother!".
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Cute story MystikPiglit! I'm sure the girls loved the experience and are still out there somewhere saying "oh bother!" :D

Tennessee falls hard on my ears. Mississippi on the other hand is softer and more musical, as are the accents of the low country. I love the cajun accent as well as the Louisianna accent in general.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    when we worked in Madison for a couple of months people actually stopped in the steet and stared at us as we went by In one mall some girls came up to us and said ' please talk to us- just say - anything'

it was quite bizzare - suppose they don't get many tourists in Madison

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very good supposition.

There is a young woman working in one of my facilities who hails from Newcastle. The staff are constantly asking her to speak with them, because of her accent.

We had a private talk about the horrid use of English that she encounters, with her doing a particularly funny bit on the pronounciation of aKs for ask. I nearly cried with laughter. She said she didn't anyone to use the Queen's English, however did expect people to use the words they said, properly!

Can't agree with her more.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The accents vary in the different states as well. There are several types of accents in Virginia. Down in the southeastern part of the state, the accent is more pronounced. In Northern VA, they don't have an accent cause everyone is from outside of Virginia! I have a southern drawl but it's not too harsh unless I get mad. People who live in Chester have their own way of speaking. It's hard to explain unless your from here. Tidewater people have a different accent too. People who are from the area pronounce Norfolk like "Nawfulk". You can tell when people aren't from there b/c they pronounce Nor-folk hard on both syllables.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 50491
    People who are from the area pronounce Norfolk like "Nawfulk". .
    That's also how it's pronounced in the UK Norfolk. :D
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah its more like Naar -fuk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 50499
    Nah its more like Naar -fuk
    Only if you are a yokel...... :(
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    my dad says we all pronounce it like "No *insert bad word*"

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    one cockney accent checkin in :D

i just love american accents, i did the welcome to epcot thing that you hear on the monorail in the same accent and the kids were always laughing god knows why
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12