Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama tells employees to slim down or pay monthly fee

Post Thanks / Like
    "Health insurance for the state's 37,527 employees is currently free, and it will continue to be for healthy workers. However, obese people will be forced to pay $25 a month for the same insurance if they don't lose the weight by 2010, the Associated Press reported.

Alabama is the first state to penalize workers for obesity. Some other states give workers added incentives to shed pounds and stay healthy.

The state turned to solving the Deep South obesity rate after successfully reducing the number of workers who smoke. It fined them until many kicked the habit."

I'd be in trouble if I worked there for sure and I'd be mad as he** too! Where does the state get off telling people how to live? will they fine people who skydive as a hobby or ride motorbikes because theyre more likely to break bones?

So it seems like we all have a problem with genetic manipulation to make the "perfect" human but we're fine with eugenics when it comes via society picking on anyone who doesnt fit some stereotype of what we should all look like, weigh, do?

Anyone else think this is the thin end of the wedge or do you all think its ok to try and force everyone to be "healthy"

Post Thanks / Like
    There is actually a big employer in Indiana that is doing this too. They had till 2010 or 2009 to get there BMI under a certain mark and lower their blood pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a well known fact that obese people tend to need more in the way of healthcare so I'm tentatively thinking this is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well smokers need more healthcare services as well.....so do people who are predisposed to certain types of diseases.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I said tentatively

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 51791
    Well smokers need more healthcare services as well.....so do people who are predisposed to certain types of diseases.
    Women who choose to become pregnant? Men/Women who skydive, race gocarts at the weekend? People who everyone know (they think) drink too much?

Where does it stop? If we punish people for not fitting some arbitrary norm, how soon will it be before people who need glasses are the next victims of society's intolerance? We're banished the smokers, it's now becoming socially and legally acceptable to discriminate against overweight people, who's next?

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly agree more incentives should be in place so that people can lose weight. I think incentives should be given for people to stop smoking. But, I think punitive damages being forced on people for not losing weight is ridiculous. There are lots of heavy people who are very healthy. There are also lots of thin people who are very sick. Plus, some people just cannot seem to lose weight. I am one of them.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't agree with this one. There ARE many healthy people who are heavier than the so called norm (who developed that anyway). They do not have HTN, High cholesterol, or any other chronic illness, nor do they take regular medications for any disease process.

So, people with diabetes should be penalized for having the genetics that predisposes them to the disease? What about type I diabetes? That is harder to control in many cases, shall we charge parents more for the treatment of those children?

No. I'm sorry. If weight as a pathology is a real issue, then start where it makes sense. Stop with all the garbage additives in food, stop with the proccessed garbage, stop with not having viable means for fresh vegetables and fruit in the lower income families. The western world is the only place I know of where obesity can be a symptom of poverty.

There are no (NONE, NADA, NIENTE) grocery stores on the Indian (yes, that is what they call themselves) reservation in Phoenix (Pima Tribe). None. Many, of those families are very low income with no transportation. Let's fine them, shall we? They tend to run toward obesity, alcoholism and substance abuse.

No. This is discrimination plain and simple. The problem isn't that people are fat. The problem is that there are not enough viable healthy choices.

Why don't health insurance plans pay for dieting then? I am doing a very expensive meal replacement approach, and it's working. My health will benefit, and so will my insurance company. Why can't they pay for a portion of the meal replacements?

Why isn't smoking cessation paid for? Why isn't nutritional counseling (REAL nutritional counseling, not that ridiculous diabetes education) paid for by health insurances.

I am so over health insurance companies trying to control what our good Doctors do for care that I could spit.

Just wait until I get warmed up! Then I'll tell you what I REALLY think!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Hear, hear Tink!

I used to work for an HMO. Smoking cessation is covered as long as the employer pays for it. Same with birth control. Two of the oddest conversations I ever had were about these two benefits.

A Phillip Morris employee called and was mad that smoking cessation wasn't covered under his plan. Ummmm, yeah the world's largest tobacco company is NOT going to pay for you to stop smoking.

The other was an employee of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. She was shocked that birth control wasn't covered. Again....yeah. Look at who the employer is.

Have you seen the stupid commercial where they are trying to say HFCS isn't bad???? That one is ludicrous.

Post Thanks / Like
    YES! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Stupidity like that permeates our society and then we wonder why people are heavy.

I really could get even more obnoxious about this, so I'll try to shut up now, but there is strong evidence (as in admission) that the government deliberately put out incomplete (maybe even false) info on nutritition because they felt the masses were too stupid to understand the complexities. That of couse led to the use of that misinformation by all sorts of "professionals."

No. No penalizing the person until the system is set up to completely support the needs of that person to acheive a reasonable level of health given that person's individual circumstance. No.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast