Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what size memory cards?

Post Thanks / Like
    How much memory card do you take to disney? I have some 2GB ones and cant see me using more but theres an offer on 8gb ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the amount of photos I take on any given day trip with the family, I am likely to take 2 or 3 4Gb cards.
    That will give me up to 3000 photos to sort through when I get home (looking for that perfect smile from the kids!)

You can always go to Walmart and get them burnt onto CD to clear the memory cards. Thats my sisters advise anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep pretty much what Simon said...I take about 12 or 16GB worth. Sometimes I use more than others but its nice to have enough available.

I also take the laptop so I can back them up to that
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Keith can set me straight, I hear that is was better to carry a few medium sized cards rather than one or two large capacity ones to increase the access time. Is that true now or was that something to contend with in the older digital cameras?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 52330
    Maybe Keith can set me straight, I hear that is was better to carry a few medium sized cards rather than one or two large capacity ones to increase the access time. Is that true now or was that something to contend with in the older digital cameras?
    Depends on your camera and the type of card it uses. My Sony A200 has a Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb memory card in it which is capable of 3 frames per second for at least 50 frames (haven't held my finger down any longer than that). The older memory cards are slower.

The main issue I have with large memory cards is, the more photos per single card the more there is to lose if you

a) lose the card
    b) corrupt the card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simonwebb74, post: 52335
    Depends on your camera and the type of card it uses. My Sony A200 has a Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb memory card in it which is capable of 3 frames per second for at least 50 frames (haven't held my finger down any longer than that). The older memory cards are slower.

The main issue I have with large memory cards is, the more photos per single card the more there is to lose if you

a) lose the card
    b) corrupt the card.
    That is a very valid point. I have 5 cards from 512 kb to 2 gig. I bought a card that came with a nice holder which can store 8 xd cards in a wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

To be perfectly honest, I dont worry much about the larger cards now. I get decent makes, decently fast ones and they can easily keep up. I backup every evening to my laptop

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe frankly how cheap memory cards are now - I have 2 4GP cards that on the eos take over 1000 frames each. Considering that since the dawn of digital photography you can dump any obviously rubbish frames straight away to make space that has always been adequate for me. I have had to promise myself on previous holidays not to experience the trip through the lens , so there are days I don't take the camera it can be quite liberating :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 52353
    Can't believe frankly how cheap memory cards are now - I have 2 4GP cards that on the eos take over 1000 frames each. Considering that since the dawn of digital photography you can dump any obviously rubbish frames straight away to make space that has always been adequate for me. I have had to promise myself on previous holidays not to experience the trip through the lens , so there are days I don't take the camera it can be quite liberating :D
    Guilty of that myself. I know what you mean! Have to work on that one....btw when you are the camera person in the family years go bye and you are never in a picture...makes it look like you weren't even a part of the family or group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 52362
    Guilty of that myself. I know what you mean! Have to work on that one...
    agreed! me too...

.btw when you are the camera person in the family years go bye and you are never in a picture...makes it look like you weren't even a part of the family or group.
    That's a positive advantage for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast