Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me sell myself please

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 53170
    Is that good or bad?

oh no, I just meant I thought it must be that one! As far as I'm aware it's a pretty good place - better than when it was over the road i think.....

Post Thanks / Like
    You're accustomed to dealing fairly and tactfully with people of all abilities because of your employment at the surgery.

Rugby coaching of the same age group--shows interest and ability to work with that age group.

Gardening is good--particularly with the potential horticultural programme.

What other interests or experience do you have that could apply to the position? Personality? You know what I mean! How does it relate to the position?

What about your university degree? How could it apply to the position--or potentially apply to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    American History....

But most of the coursework was research based so self-motivation was a bit part of that. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I remembered it was in American History, but couldn't quite remember if that was your major or a serious interest!

Okay, self-motivation would be a good selling point.

What about geo-caching? How could that relate to teaching those with learning difficulties? Alternative teaching methods are crucial--some children are more visual and don't learn easily through traditional methods. And dyslexia is pretty common these days--probably always has been, it's just diagnosed correctly more frequently these days! Again, alternative teaching/learning methods are needed.

Since it's a teaching assistant position, mention you work well as part of a team under general direction. Or something to that effect.

Be sure to include computer skills, including generally used software such as Word, Excel, etc. Even if they aren't used for teaching, they probably are for preparing lessons and reporting progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the IT skills in. Got the being part of a team thing. Got the helping at Steven's school. Got used to working in sensitive situations. Got not afraid to try anything once (except bungee jumping). I think I've covered all the competencies they are looking for. I've got a couple of things in that show I've actually read the stuff they sent me.

Got my referees lined up.

Won't mention that all photocopiers hate me though. :sigh;

Post Thanks / Like
    Given what you do in your current daily life, you are detail oriented, problem solver, environmentally aware and dedicated to conserving the earth's resources, have a quick and ready sense of humour which is very necessary when working with children (particularly in sports oriented settings) are not afraid to do what it takes to get the job done...

Your degree is documentation that you have the ability to learn, and apply that learning to everyday life.

My one concern is the qualification that you say you need and don't have. Is that qualification something that can be filled by experience and ability rather than a piece of paper? I mean, for example here if you work for Hospice (in most service delivery roles) you must have a master's degree in an applicable discipline. It's a matter of Medicare regulation and regardless of how good someone is, they won't be hired without that degree.

Is that the case there? Is the school required by a higher authority to hire someone with those qualifications?

If not, you could propose that you will seek those qualifications, and be willing to work for a bit less than the going rate (for someone who is qualified) just to get your foot in the door.

Depends on how much you want (not need, mind) the job.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Also remember that dreaded question at the end of the interview "What can you bring with you to this position?" I hate that question.
    People who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't know where to shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, forgot an important one. You have excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Then be sure that is the case when you send them the written application. No errors (not that you make them anyway) of any sort, and any hand writing needs to be perfectly clear and legible (your's is).

I've done interviews for years (once upon a time it was my main work position) and seen some of the worst applications you can imagine. One that comes through clean, that shows the candidate took the time to understand the position, tailor her/his skills to the position with clear explanation and examples of what the person can DO, with no spelling errors, no grammar errors, no punctuation errors-those shoot straight to the top of the pile. You'd be horrified at the condition of most applications.

Mostly, have faith in yourself, and know that we do to.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't hate that question. That is your opportunity to tell them that you have so many skills to bring that you can't begin to quantify them all (but be sure to have several that you can). It's your chance to tell them that all the positions you've had in the past have provided you with so many skills that you've come to take them for granted.

I once was hired for a position I coveted because I said to the interviewer (within the context of this question) "I'm a damn good value."

Oh, don't forget to explain your organizational skills and punctuality. Not only is a workplace looking for someone who has the skills to do the job, but they are assessing your work ethic as well.

Try to understand (find out?) the culture of the work place there and throw in a few examples of how you will fit in seamlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 53231
    Got the IT skills in. Got the being part of a team thing. Got the helping at Steven's school. Got used to working in sensitive situations. Got not afraid to try anything once (except bungee jumping). I think I've covered all the competencies they are looking for. I've got a couple of things in that show I've actually read the stuff they sent me.

Got my referees lined up.

Won't mention that all photocopiers hate me though. :sigh;
    Not mention the photocopier thing is good!

And I think Tink just about sold you with her posts! :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast