Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You learn something new about your kids everyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I had a meeting with DD Alex's guidance counselor at high school. She is a senior and the meeting is to give you a chance to see current class rank, GPA, sign a million forms, make sure her name will be correct on her diploma and give information on scholarships. So DD tells her couselor...I want to go to Virginia Commonwealth University......to study ...and I am waiting to hear the thing she wanted to be for years (well ever since she could not actually be a mermaid or princess) an marine mammalogist. So I am waiting to here it...and she says....to study photography/filmmaking:shocked025: Where did that come from. I should have know, she asked for a nice DSLR for Christmas this year. I think she has talent (of course I am her Dad) and the desire to do well in the area..she has filled our desktop computer with photos. She spent hours doing macro with the Lumix on water spiders at our family cottage. This sort of makes sense...now I will have to get recommendations from the usual lot...guess to hear a bit of debate about Nikon v. Canon etc. So idears? Guess I should contact the school to see about recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like
    canon:p015:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would go with a Nikon if I was going to get something super duper fancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    wait , my DD has told me some of the things she did as a teen, when I thought I was on top of everything. Makes me wonder what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely contact the photography department at the university for recommendations. Then you'll know your investment will suit the intended purpose. :thumbs_up:

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad idea, but she has to have a portfolio for admission and I would like her to work on that with a decent DSLR. I guess it is a matter of preference. I like Nikon, her friends have Canon and she likes theirs....so it isn't for me right?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's right, it's not for you. :D Also, if she likes theirs then she is likely to understand the camera a little better right out of the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Canon Nikon debate these days for 99.9999% of people is just a personal choice.

For ages Nikon had the only affordable (just :) digital SLR, then canon came along and blew them out of the water on price/performance and they've been ahead in MOST areas until this year.

Nikon has now caught up.

So right now, although there are differences between models, and differences in use, feel and lenses, both makes will do pretty much whatever you can dream about :)

I have both and at the moment I'm favouring the look/feel of the Nikon for general photography. I still prefer the Canon menu system, but think that the newer Nikon Lenses are mindblowing... but but Canon have a better range (slightly ;-)

so as you can see, swings and roundabouts.

It's quite an important decision though because although the actual camera seems like an investment, it's actually the lenses that you buy that are the investment! If you choose well, you can be using lenses you bought for your first camera many many years later with a new body.

So do contact the school but pay particular attention to the lenses you get. Most people will take portfolio photos with kit lenses at standard lengths and apertures. By thinking outside the box you can really stand out.

Just an example, a very cheap 50mm 1.8 lens for either nikon or canon (about $100 or so) will produce fantastic top quality images. 1.8 will get you very narrow depth of field if you want to be artistic.... it's a fairly standard length though so you can be a bit different by getting down low, or shooting from above or or or , well loads of ideas really :D
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Cannon....kids are weird....my son recently told me he wanted to join the Marines...this from a kid who a few years ago wanted nothing to do with the military

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal choice would be a Canon. But the investment as Keith said is in the lenses. Spent £400 on the camera body and over £3000 on lenses.
    Take your daughter to a reputable camera dept and let her try and hold different makes of camera. Once you choose the camera and start getting lenses it is very expensive to change makes if you find you don't like the make you have.

Everyone needs a hug in the morning
    and one at the end of the day.
    As many as possible squeezed in between
    to keep lifes troubles at bay.

What’s another word for Thesaurus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast