Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, so that is how the other half lives!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    DW and I went to the Homearama in Virginia Beach last night. For those that don't know what that is, it is an open house of the most garishly, oppulent homes in a new construction area. The homes were obsenely elaborate, with 5 bedrooms 7 baths, home theaters that are actual theaters, massive homes, 3 car garages and the like. Now why we attend this event almost yearly is beyond me! The homes were absolutely stunning, had the best inground pools, outdoor kitchens and bars, fire pits you name it! BTW,, the cheapest house (w/o all the beautiful furniture)was 1.2 million!

It sort of made me feel bad. There are people across this planet who have to make their shoes our of throw away plastic soda bottles, and there is this fantastic oppulence. I was stunned. Now our house is how shall we say, a bit more realistic...2000 sq ft (feel that is more than enough) 4 bed, 2.5 bath and you know what, nice and cozy. Who BUYS these houses? Is that part of the problem we had, that we aspire to such massive McMansions? Are we going in debt to try to attain that goal. Well a few of the CEOs from the failed banking industry must be on the short list, you would need a golden parachute to afford these homes.

You should see these monsters:

http://www.homearama.tv/

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief....and probably only 2 or 3 people live in these houses.....

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Really, in one of them, the walk in closet was actually, litteraly larger than our bedroom. The scale is massive. Now to make myself feel better, you couldn't help but notice that this new development get the sound of freedom...24 hrs a day...right next to naval air station Oceana! Nothing like the sound of an f18 superhornet to wake to.:tongue0011-1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's materialism at its worst.

Give me cosy anytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    The building association puts on the event each year and each year (for the most part) they try to outdo the previous year. Normally there are about a dozen homes, but only 7 this year as the building market is taking major hits...build fewer homes, but bigger and more oppulent.

Post Thanks / Like
    my walk in closet in the US was as big as our bedroom now!!!

I Like the mothership

i guess you earn that money you spend it on what you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 56925
    my walk in closet in the US was as big as our bedroom now!!!

I Like the mothership

i guess you earn that money you spend it on what you want
    True that Brit, the Mothership was pretty neat for at least TRYING to leave a smaller footprint, well a carbon footprint. It utilized gray water via recycling, has photocells on the roof, uses fluorescent lights throughout and has the latest in energy saving devices. They claim that you may actully see the meter spinning backwards...you would be selling electricity back to the grid. The builder was on site and used the computer to check how much energy each of the homes used (all you need is an address to see how much energy your neighbors are using here in Dominion Electric area). His house dre $30 for the day while some of the other houses drew over $50 to near $60 a day. Now they have every light on, AC crandked up, have the home theater going, the pools all lit up.....but come on even $30 a day x 365 days...not only can I not ever afford the house, I can't even afford to power it:p

Post Thanks / Like
    thats always the thing isn't it you can stretch to a bit bigger house but then can't afford to heat it and the extra effort it takes to clean it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't got a walk in closet but Owen can get inside my wardrobe and pretend he's in an elevator.

Those houses remind me of the type of houses at Sandbanks here in Poole. They beggar belief!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 56933
    thats always the thing isn't it you can stretch to a bit bigger house but then can't afford to heat it and the extra effort it takes to clean it!
    Yes that is what we said....how long would it take to clean it? I mean 6400 sq. feet...how long would it take to clean that...can barely keep up with a 2000 sq ft house. Especially with a teen daughter:p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast