Thread: school refuses holiday! what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    So dd has no exams around the time, a* student and yet holiday form got thrown back at us! Im just incredibly angry!

Would you still go? would you say anything to the school? would you cancel :(

what gives the right to a school to fine people for doing whats best for their own kids?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is always an emotive subject and there are usually many different opinions on what should be done next. My advice to you would be to do what you think is best for all involved. Good luck whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh dear

imo it is up to the parent to decide. Having said that i think there are exceptions eg during GCSE and A'Level years, although mine are missing the last 2 days of the summer term next year and Dan is in his first year of GCSEs.

I think that there should be a limit set of up to 2 weeks, the issue is not just of money in many cases but parents getting time off work in the holidays. I share the school holidays with 3 people, only 1 of us is allowed off at a time.

I do think that travel as a value is as important as school work. It's active learning, also family time is really important. I can't tell you how nice it was to spend 2 whole weeks with the family in April.

anyway back onto the question, what would i do? i'd probably tell them to go ahead and fine me. But i'm a bit of a rebel

Post Thanks / Like
    it does my head in that schools can do this to loving parents

tell them youre going whatever happens and if they dont like it thats their problem

no one knows your own child and situation like you do so go have a great holiday and dont give them another thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Your child. Your decision. I would not allow them to intimidate me. If they fined me, so be it. I'd chalk it up to part of the holiday expense.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Soley my own opinion........it is MY child and I decide what is right for her. Learning is far more inclusive than what can be garnered from a book. Life is about experiences. Also, I think family is very important and the memories that can be made via a holiday are some of the best there are. I have taken Alysia out of school many times. We don't get fined but we've have to go to the admissions committee every year since she's been in high school to validate my right to do take my child on vacation. She is an A/B student, she's on the Honor Roll, she passes her SOL tests with flying colors. I wouldn't take her out of school if she was having difficulty in school.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dvcjane, post: 57345
    So dd has no exams around the time, a* student and yet holiday form got thrown back at us! Im just incredibly angry!

Would you still go? would you say anything to the school? would you cancel :(

what gives the right to a school to fine people for doing whats best for their own kids?

crazy! :mad:

if there are no exams, she's doing that well and has good attendance then i don't see what their problem is - have they given you a reason?

i mean, supposing she was poorly for 2 weeks, would they still fine you? No, of course they wouldn't.....

i would be inclined to go right ahead and suffer the consequences.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did the school actually say? If they said they will not authorise the abscence then it will simply be marked as unauthorised on her records. They can't tell you not to take your holiday. And the school will just be following county guidelines. The school doesn't fine you, the LEA does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 57449
    What did the school actually say? If they said they will not authorise the abscence then it will simply be marked as unauthorised on her records. They can't tell you not to take your holiday. And the school will just be following county guidelines. The school doesn't fine you, the LEA does.

yes, Dawn's right.

Actually a couple of years ago my sister had a similar problem with my niece - she was doing well, no exams, good attendance yet they said no to the holiday request.....she still went on holiday and had no comeback on it whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your child. Your decision.