Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to see the northern lights from uk?

I've been out trying to identify the stars and planets with a little success although I dont know if I really have got them right

can we see the northern lights from the uk or is that a stupid quesstion?

Nope not at all - a common sight in Scotland and they are visible in Southern england on occasion - but its unlikley at the moment as we are going through a very long period of solar inactivity - active aurorae follow periods of solar activity and we are currently at a 50 year minimum ( presumably cos I forked out 400 on a solar telescope)

If I get any more info or know of any likley displays I will post it here

Keep at the star watching it took me months for it all to click - but it became very pleasurable after that

I will post some basic guides when I get a sec

If you don't see the Aurora normally at your latitude, keep an eye to the sky an hour or so after dusk to see a most beautiful (but maybe a harbinger of climate change) in the sky. These electric blue clouds have been around a while they are called Noctilucent Clouds or Polar Mesosphereic Clouds. They are normally found at higher latitudes, but recently have been seen more frequently and at lower latitudes. I know that throughout the UK they get pretty good views of them.

I got a chance to develop science lessons for the educational outreach while in Alaska.

NASA AIM site;
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/aim/

the Hampton University site:
    http://aim.hamptonu.edu/team/partners/1partner.html#

They are beautiful - been looking for them for 2 years now and havent seen any - they are apparently very different beasties to normal clouds and shine - beautiful image Dan

Saw them while we were in Alaska, have yet to see them here...I mean I am at 37 degrees N. I guess they have been seen down to 40 degrees N though. I have see the Aurora here in VA quite a few years ago. That was freaky.

I would love to see them first hand.

I have been lucky enough to see them quite often, living in the far north of scotland if the conditions are right we see them! They are stunning

I have asked an expert and we should see them in England in 3-4 years time

Remind me a bit closer to the date please.

couldn't wait to see that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast