1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

3d TV - anyone got one yet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

not on the set i was watching chris hd was ok but normal wasnt good at all poor imo

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Really? We're watching standard def right now and even if I get up close to the screen it's razor sharp :yes: Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I agree with Mick on the standard definition actually. I think standard definition works out much better on a plasma than an LCD/LED. I think maybe its just a difference in the technology but when you see the lower resolution of SD scaled up to a LOT of pixels, how the TV does its scaling really seems to matter.

Some how the plasma smooths out the resolution whereas the LCD/LED pixel sharp seems to look wrong, like using an LCD computer monitor at an incorrect resolution.

Heck, all the tvs are so great really relatively to just a few years ago :lol: but yeah, there are differences.

I'd still be happy if someone gave me a 46/50" plasma LED LCD or heck anything really :lol:

4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Anyway. I'm happy with what I got and I'm looking forward to it coming :)

Read some really great reviews on it since.

5. keith

The samsungs are so great these days they really really are. Thats exactly the one I'd love to get

6. ukwdwnut

not a case of that at all josh...the LG in std def wasnt very good at all...thats all im saying i cant go by another other make as ive not seen any other leds but for 1700 smackers id want a heck of a lot better than that, thats why id plump for a plasma on a BIG screen :)

7. josh.p.

Well we have an LED LG set and we're watching it right now in standard definition and it's honestly fine. Even if I go right up to the screen. Very strange that you'd have a bad experience with such an expensive one too.

8. ukwdwnut

i know, still its not mine so im not worried :lol:

im going for a 50" panasonic plasma :)

9. Skywatcher

Very nice they are too, our lounge isn't big enough for one though :)

Always liked Panasonic stuff

Looking for a home cinema system to go with it and I really like the look of the Sony system that has the golf ball sized speakers - hate the great big things we have now

I'm hoping I can just connect everything ( PS3, SKY, Blu ray) to it using just the optical output and connect them all to the TV using the HDMI I really don't want to have to have the surround on to use any of these when I don't want to for watching the news etc :unsure: - think its called teh ID100 or something - tiny little speakers but crazy powerful

10. josh.p.

We have a yamaha TV stand that has surround sound built into it. It's really good.

11. Skywatcher

Our TV sits on the end of long wooden cabinet so we can't really have a built in stand for it - we do have a great panasonic DVD/hometheatre setup at the moment but the speakers are getting old and dirty and if we can get tiny speakers that would be great - it costs extra but the rear ones do work wirelessly on the sony as well

12. josh.p.

The sony ones do sound fantastic :yes: Wireless really does help too. We have wooden flooring so we decided not to go for a wired set up and at the time we bought ours wireless hadn't really come out with anything great. I'd definitely go for the wireless ones :yes:

13. ukwdwnut

with plasmas the pioneer were supposedly the best but that arm of the company have gone bust and its widely recognised that the panasonic stands out big time now way abouve anything else out there.

im looking at a bose wireless system if i can afford it, i have an onkyo cinema sound amp now with tannoy speakers and im quite happy with the sound....the separation is really good when playing a dvd in dts mode esp the sound effect on something like the newer star trek films and the sound track (full orchestral) sounds superb :D

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

All these men going into tv shops... now I know why they keep going. Where else could you get blown away for free!

15. Skywatcher

It arrived today

:mental:

All setup now

HD sky is mind-blowing , watched harry potter inhd and it is just phenomenal, almost hyper real. It does however make standard def look just awful, but that is more a function of how exceptional HD is !!!

The sky 3d channel is pure magic, watched 'cloudy with a chance of meatballs' and it was pixel perfect, no cross talk at all!!

With 50+ channels in hd including 3 Disney channels we are going to be happy

The blu ray is not a dear one but it's our 1st venture into blu ray and it is cut your eyes sharp. Shrek 3d looks great and the cleaver old samsung can convert the 3d to 2d if you want!!

An unexpected bonus is that the samsung can convert any Programme into 3d !!! Ok some are not brilliant but some are remarkable

The PS3 looks spectacular as well.

I'm sure some systems are better technically but I would struggle to see how it was possible to improve on the picture quality , now that I have had a fairly long play with the picture set up and got it how I like.

Only downside is the sound, which is frankly fine for watching the news and documentaries etc. So a Sony surround will rectify that, it does look like I can output everything to an optical audio and run it through that.

Only mental thing during setup was the PS3!!! the only way to connect it via the hdmi cable was to go into settings and select hdmi out, so I had to connect it via the component first then change the output selection, quickly change the channel to the hdmi and 'agree settings' as it timed out after a few seconds, crazy stuff.

Anyway the little big planet 2 demo we downloaded looks phenomenal , and works really well in 3d .

Keith man, the samsung 8000 46 inch is a thing of slender beauty :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  16. keith

You're killing me dude :lol:

Yep, it's the one I'd buy for sure. I think I've spent more time in front of the demo one in Currys than at home :lol:

Glad you're pleased with it :)

17. Skywatcher

It is substantially smaller and lighter than our 42 inch plasma which is strange and the connectivity is very impressive as well

Carpe diem old friend, we come this way only once and all that ;)

Avatar is on on Feb5th on sky 3d , you can only buy this on blu ray as part of a package with the panasonic plasmas and is currently going for an insane £400 on eBay.

18. Skywatcher

Ooo Alice in wonderland is on in 3d next week as are toy story 3 and 2 :mental:

19. josh.p.

:mental: So glad you love it, it does sound fantastic!

20. Skywatcher

So impressed with the blacks at the moment.