1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

3rd Disney Bus Crash in just 2 weeks!

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

A Disney bus driver was charged with careless driving after two passenger vehicles were struck by his bus shortly before noon Saturday 3rd April.

Florida Highway Patrol identified the driver as Fredrick Cassens, 80, of Auburndale. He struck the back of a 2009 Chevrolet sport utility vehicle that was stopped at a red light at East Buena Vista and World drives, troopers said. The impact caused the Chevy to hit the back of a 1999 GMC van, also a Disney vehicle, that was stopped for the light, too.

WESH.com reported that 19 people were on the Disney bus. There were said to be no injuries.

The crash was the third such event on the theme park's property in the past two weeks. The most recent killed a 9-year-old Pinellas County boy, who was run over Thursday after his bicycle drifted into the side of a Disney bus at Fort Wilderness Resort , investigators said.

An online ad for bus drivers states that they must have a commercial drivers license, conduct bus-safety inspections and answer guest questions. There is no upper age limit, although drivers must pass a physical at least once every two years, a Disney spokewoman said. Starting pay is $10.25 per hour.
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I'll take the job! I just think that could be a whole bunch of fun! Wish I were retired and lived down there. :yes:

Oh... and I promise not to hit anything or anyone with my bus! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas... oops, wrong vehicle!)
  3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

This crash my not have had anything to do with him being 80.
  4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Good grief....apparently they need to take some refresher driving courses!
  5. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I still remember my own "special Disney transport ride of terror" with the bus driver who fell asleep at the wheel! The people at the front were shaking him to try and wake him up. When we got to Downtown disney we all got off and tried to tell the Disney transport people in that little hut and quite frankly they couldn't have cared less.
  6. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

There is definitely something wrong here when there are 3 accidents in a two week period. It could be inadequate training or they are hiring people who really shouldnt be hired.The truth is 10.25 really isn't much of a liveable wage. That is 410 dollars a week before taxes and other deductions.Take home pay would be somewhere near 270-300 dollars a week. So figure 1200 dollars a month to pay your rent,car,food,phone,cable and other living expenses. If they paid a better salary they would have a larger employee pool to choose from.
  7. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Me too Tom. :thumbsup:
    It must be great having a bunch of passengers in holiday mode all of the time.
    I`d love to be one of those chatty drivers who passes the time by telling jokes etc. over the pa system.
  8. Keith

They're the best :yes:

Did anyone else ever have, I think it was Bob, "Bob's bus ride of Terrrrrror" said in a scary voice when coming back from EPCOT one night, flashing the bus lights off an on :lol:

The ride back was better than the day we'd had at the park!

Some of them are grumps, but the ones that really get into it are amazing
  9. Slowhand

Yep, we had one once who advised the passengers that there was "No eating, drinking or flash photography " allowed on the bus. It took a few minutes before the penny dropped with some of the passengers who thought that he was being serious! :lol:
  10. Keith

:laugh:

We had one who kept asking Disney quiz questions and wouldn't open the doors until we got them right :D

Strange how little things like this can really enhance the whole experience so much
  11. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Exactly! I remember a driver like that. It was so nice and refreshing. I also remember a driver who had great WDW trivia.
  12. Slowhand

Yes it sure does. :thumbsup:
    On another occasion one of the folks who boarded the bus was wearing a birthday pin and the driver made us all sing "Happy Birthday" as we started the journey.
  13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

It really is remarkable how little things like the attitude of a bus driver can really make your time there so much more memorable. :yes:

We had one driver on one of our trips who kept insisting that there was no eating, drinking or smoking allowed on the bus. Or, for that matter, no talking or laughing by those two young ladies about halfway back on the bus. Initially, the girls looked stunned. But then they realized it was a joke and started to giggle. Of course, that made him worse. Finally, he told us that we had to help him quiet these girls down or nobody was getting off the bus. By this time, everyone was laughing so hard that there was no hope of anyone being quiet for him. True to his word, he wouldn't open the doors till we had the girls settled down. Sort of. :unsure:

All told, a whole bunch of fun and the start of a great day at WDW! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... perhaps I should practice Bob Newhart's "The Bus Driver"!)
  14. Tiggers Golf

Tiggers Golf Forum Sponsor

We were squashed in like sardines and ride was scary so took the boat back to the Swan I would walk rather than that, some of the passengers who do not give up seats for seniors and let kids occupy them irritate me I always used to have my daughter on my knee
    evolution who love it
    Barbara
  15. Keith

Barbara, we're obviously kindred spirits! I was going to say the same myself.

Considering they're deluxe resorts, that shared bus to yacht club, beach club, boardwalk, swan & dolphin is just hideous! We were SO crushed last time and all I could hear was the driver shouting "move further in please". There wasn't an inch of space, it was SO hot and took SO long. Worst bus journey of my life (other than you know, the one where the bus driver fell asleep :lol: )

When we got on the bus there were any numer of kids taking up seats by lieing across them or little kids that couldve been on parents' knees. Some of them even moved OFF parents' knees onto the seat and looked up as if to say this is MY seat and the parents did nothing.

Heck I'm not bothered for me, I'm big enough and ugly enough to stand but there were pregnant women and several very tired looking seniors who had to stand.

One guy, obviously having some degree of manners, asked his young daughter to come sit on his knee to let other people sit down and he didn't half get a mouth full from his wife. "No it's her seat! they can stand up, why should she move" etc etc.
  16. Slowhand

Yep, that`s the downside of the busses [or rather the inconsiderate so & so`s who are sometimes passengers!]
    I find that most of the busses are also nearly full when they arrive at the GF having stopped at some other resorts en-route. For this reason I nowadays tend to drive to the parks as it also saves a fair bit of time.