Thread: new story

Post Thanks / Like
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/...tanic_survivor

To me, this story is so sad. I wish that we cherished our elderly more than we do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read that. It is shameful!! I am just horrified. The way a society treats their elderly is a direct link to their true character.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the law has recently changed here about that now..... someone here will know for sure, and if it has it will be too late for this lady :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only are they getting older, likely having health problems, but now we ask them to give up everything they hold dear just to survive. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    i know a bit about this as the job i did before this one involved placing people into long term care.

The policy of our government is to keep people in their homes for as long as possible and if possible forever. This is also the preferred option for the vast majority of older people, they want to grow old and die in their own homes. There are services such as home care to support people with their care needs at home and there are few circumstances where somebody cannot be actually maintained at home provided they have an adequate care package.

I actually agree with the policy but feel that there is not enough money to provide the actual support needed so people often feel that they want to go into a residential/nursing home.

As far as funding for placement goes, if you have savings over around 20,000 you are seen as a self funder and you will be expected to fund yourself until your savings go under the limit. There is a limit on pension earnings too so if you earn more than a certain amount then you would have to self fund too. However people who have little or no savings or are on a state pension need to meet the criteria for funding, this varies by county council but basically you have to have needs so great that you cannot be safely looked after at home.

The county councils budgets for residential care are being reduced every year yet the country's ageing population is increasing at an alarming rate so do the maths! noone wants to pay more taxes to keep up with this.

I have also found that a lot of older people are cadjoled into going into long term care because that's what their families want so we need to protect their rights.

You're right there is not enough done to help our older people but i don't think the fault is only at the door of statutory services. Family members need to take responsibility for their relatives and as a society we need to value our elders more they truly are a treasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our government has just found billions to prop up the banks... our councils have nearly lost millions in Iceland banks cos that is where they hid the money thay have... there IS funding *They* just brainwash us all into thinking that there isn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 62136
    You're right there is not enough done to help our older people but i don't think the fault is only at the door of statutory services. Family members need to take responsibility for their relatives and as a society we need to value our elders more they truly are a treasure.

I agree completely with this.

Our country is very similar. Many people have to sell their homes and possessions in order to quailfy for aid here.

On another note, my grandma's sister had to "live in sin" (her words, not mine) with her elderly boyfriend because they both would have lost benefits had they married. What does that say about our world?

Our country just seems to print money to bail out banks who then go on vacations and hunting expeditions! :mad:

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 62144
    Our government has just found billions to prop up the banks... our councils have nearly lost millions in Iceland banks cos that is where they hid the money thay have... there IS funding *They* just brainwash us all into thinking that there isn't.
    Well said:p015:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]