Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many weeks vacation time do you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering how many weeks everyone gets and what are the rules on you taking it?

we get three weeks and have to book practically a year in advance. There's a huge fight every year :(

Post Thanks / Like
    We get about 5 weeks on average ( this inc xmas and easter) aswell as the 8 block days off a month ( work shifts)

We book as and when we want as long as theres only 1 person off at any one time ( only 3 of us )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    In the US it really depends on the position, size and type of company where you work--private sector. Government usually has more days off (holidays) as well as vacation time and they are allowed to accrue it differently.

I tend to work in small- to mid-sized companies in the private sector. Most non-exempt (hourly positions) have one week vacation after one year of service and two weeks after two or three years. Some very small companies may require waiting five years for that second week! Three weeks kick in somwhere around five or six years for most of these companies. Non-exempt positions typically begin at two weeks vacation after one year, but have to wait until five years for the third week. Some companies permit more negotiation than others.

Paid holidays in these firms usually are restricted to New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If you're lucky, you might get the day after Thanksgiving and 1/2 day on Christmas eve and New Year's eve paid--some may offer the time off without pay. And if you're really lucky, you might get one to three PTO (personal time off days) per year or a couple of minor holidays.

I'm usually the only person at my level, so I have to be sure there are no deadlines looming while I'm on holiday or immediately thereafter. I also have to cover some of the other accounting positions at times, so I'm pretty restricted when I can take vacation time. Two weeks is about the maximum I can manage, and even then I'm working late the night before I leave and I'm back at work--arriving early and working late--the day after I return.

What can I say? It's a living! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I only get 8 days holiday a year :mad:

But I do only work 2 days a week :p015:

I dont get bank holidays unless I work them in which case I can bank it and use it whenever, only 1 of us can be off at 1 time (7 in our department)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fortunate enough to work in a college so I get 12 weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    I get 3 weeks...but I have been with this company for 4 years. I have to take any and all sick days out of that too. I also get 6 paid holidays.

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I get 26 Vacation Days, 13 Sick days and 10 holidays/year plus with my work schedule I have every other Friday off.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I take the time I want, but I don't get any paid leave.....
    Hubby gets 8 weeks annual leave, no public holidays and up to 6 months sick pay.(after that he goes onto half pay for another 6 months, (I think that is right, touch wood we have not had to actually do that))

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I took an early retirement I have 52 weeks holiday each year!
    Having said that, I`m busier now than when I was working and I don`t know how I found the time to go to work!
    I try to get away from it all 3 times a year for around 3 weeks at a time if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    DH now gets 6 weeks but that is because he looks after school dining contracts - most of those have to be taken in school holidays which suits us fine at the moment. I get 23 days from my part time job. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast