Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, tell me about Facebook.....

Post Thanks / Like
    So, a friend wants me to join Facebook so that we can keep in touch.
    But, as you know, I fear technology. :shocked025:
    What are the pros and cons of Facebook?
    How do you contact other members?
    How do you talk to people once on there?
    Does it cost anything?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, I'm the worst person to reply. I'm not a fan of facebook.

It IS free yep.

You can talk to people in a number of ways, direct personal chat, comments on their page, email to their inbox and so on

The Pro is really its interconnectness. It's very easy for friends to find each other and recognise friends of friends, then friends of friends of friends you've met once, then colleagues you've worked with 20 years ago.. you get the idea.

Once these people are added as friends, you see their status updates and so on so you start seeing "keith has made friends with Julie" "Keith has received a message from David" and so on

I guess it bothers me in a load of ways. It's too "full on" in terms of everyone knows everyone for my liking. You CAN restrict who you share your info with and who is a friend, but you get the feeling that it's not encouraged or made easy.

Then you can get snide petty little comments on there from silly people and it's all very playgroundish (and hey, I didnt enjoy playgrounds the first time around )
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Keith. :)
    I don't see this friend often so she thinks it would be the best way to keep in touch as she's on Facebook daily.
    I just have this weird 'excluded' feeling because several people have asked if I'm on there.....

It's very easy for friends to find each other and recognise friends of friends, then friends of friends of friends you've met once, then colleagues you've worked with 20 years ago..
    How do you find them? Is everyone listed alphabetically/by place/school etc?

You CAN restrict who you share your info with and who is a friend, but you get the feeling that it's not encouraged or made easy.
    Putting info about myself is something I'm not comfortable with either.

Then you can get snide petty little comments on there from silly people and it's all very playgroundish
    Well, that's not good. :(
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep getting the invites from friends to join as well but I'm just not interested. If I really wanted to talk with my friends and share things I would pick up the phone or make a date to get together. It feels like a cop-out way of knowing what's going on with close friends.

But, I an see the benefits of getting to know different people (like the many on Secrets that are on FB) through the site and finding old friends.
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie0610, post: 65088
    If I really wanted to talk with my friends and share things I would pick up the phone or make a date to get together..
    That used to be my opinion too. :p015: But I can see that, if a person has a hectic work life, contacting everyone by phone can become impossible.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 65091
    That used to be my opinion too. :p015: But I can see that, if a person has a hectic work life, contacting everyone by phone can become impossible.
    Yeah, but even an email or a text is more personal than something posted for the world to see.
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 65082
    Thanks, Keith. :)
    I don't see this friend often so she thinks it would be the best way to keep in touch as she's on Facebook daily.
    I just have this weird 'excluded' feeling because several people have asked if I'm on there.....
    yep I understand and I think if used properly, it can keep people upto date with whats going on with their circle of friends without everyone spending individual phone time ... thing is, is THAT a good thing?

How do you find them? Is everyone listed alphabetically/by place/school etc?
    You or they can search for one another by name/email address etc

Putting info about myself is something I'm not comfortable with either.
    you have to be very careful with facebook because it has tie ins to other systems and does its best to find you on other places and use that information.

For example, some time ago and overnight, facebook worked out that if you had the same login details for amazon as facebook, it could login there. So if Dave ordered "how to spice up our night life" from amazon, all of daves friends saw that As you can imagine, it caused quite a stir

It led to enhanced privacy controls being introduced but it's still quite an invasive technology

Well, that's not good. :(
    yeah sadly it's a reflection of the immaturity of the users rather more than the technology itself. When we started the forums, we received a load of very nasty comments from some.. intellectually limited individuals shall we say who really didn't know how to use the technology anyway. We just laughed at them but you can imagine how it could be hurtful. (Facebook are very good in removing any such comments you advise them about and they'll even ban the users involved but generally the facebook way to do things is to leave the sillyness there for everyone else to see and make their own judgements about)

So that's it really! I think facebook is just a step along the way.... email -> instant messaging -> facebook/myspace -> ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. :)

it can keep people upto date with whats going on with their circle of friends without everyone spending individual phone time ... thing is, is THAT a good thing?
    Ummm...probably.....

you have to be very careful with facebook because it has tie ins to other systems and does its best to find you on other places and use that information.
    It led to enhanced privacy controls being introduced but it's still quite an invasive technology
    Yikes, that is definitely something to beware of. Thanks.

So that's it really! I think facebook is just a step along the way.... email -> instant messaging -> facebook/myspace -> ???
    That's what I have been thinking.
    It took me ages to jump into the world of Message Boards and now they're an essential part of my daily life. :D
    So is Facebook just the next step I need to take. Or is that a leap too far? :rolleyes008:
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 65100
    That's what I have been thinking.
    It took me ages to jump into the world of Message Boards and now they're an essential part of my daily life. :D
    So is Facebook just the next step I need to take. Or is that a leap too far? :rolleyes008:
    I think you can do it in a limited way if you're careful with the privacy options and naming.

You can try and go on there with an alias, hide everything in privacy options and only become "friends" with a close circle of most trusted people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 65102
    You can try and go on there with an alias, hide everything in privacy options and only become "friends" with a close circle of most trusted people.
    That's probably not very practical. :)

So, is anyone here a big fan of Facebook? Can you give me the pros of being on there? :)
    [CENTER]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast