Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im new here and can see some flags but wondered where you're all from?

Is the place youre from famous for anything? what's its best and worst features :)

I'm from a place called lymm in cheshire, UK which is famous for nothing that I know of

it's very expensive to live here but is also lovely and has a traditional old village centre

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in South London but now I live in Lancing, West Sussex. Officially the largest village in England we have 2 churches that date back to the 11th century (I have geocaches in both of them. ). And ummmm, that's it. Oh we're by the sea. :D

And we have Lancing College - aka Hogwarts. :D
    http://www.lancingcollege.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    My DW and I hail from Stoke-on-Trent originally, although now we live in a small town called Stone which is in between Stoke and Stafford.

Stoke is [or was before many factory closures] famous for the manufacture of pottery...think Royal Doulton and Wedgwood etc.etc. In fact any where on Disney property, including DCL, if you flip the plate you will see the name "Stoke -on-Trent" stamped on it`s base.

The only other things we are famous for [off the top of my head] are it being the birthplace of Sir Stanley Matthews [the famous soccer player of the 50`s/60`s], Sir Reginald Mitchell [inventor of the Spitfire WW11 fighter plane], and Captain Smith [of the Titanic!]

Post Thanks / Like
    I am from Tonawanda, NY. (yes, very Native American name!) We are famous for the Erie Canal (the canal that connected the Great Lakes with Albany and eventually the Atlantic), the Niagara River (which flows over Niagara Falls) and for having very cold, snowy winters due to lake affect snow!

Tonawanda is about 15 miles from Downtown Buffalo. Home of the Buffalo Bills (prof football) and Buffalo Sabres (prof Hockey)!
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Im from a wee town called Tain right up in the Highlands of Scotland.

Its not a bad place really, small and everyone knows everyone!

What are we famous for? well that would have to be whisky....Glenmornagie Distilery is in Tain and makes one of the most famous malts you can find :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi i was born and until February this year lived in Cumbria now i live in a fantastic place Bournemouth, Dave was from just outside Southampton but lives in Bournemouth with me :)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in West London and now live just a bit wester

I live in Warfield in Berkshire which is just north of Bracknell.

Warfield is a semi-rural Parish, made up of 13 settlements (Hayley Green, Warfield Street, Jealotts Hill, Moss End, Newell Green, Nuptown, Warfield Park, West End, Hawthorn Hill, Brockhill, Whitegrove, Quelm Park and Lawrence Hill). The northern part of the Parish is within the Green Belt. There is a substantial area of open rural countryside north of the new settlement areas.

Warfield was originally a Saxon settlement and is recorded in the Doomsday Book. The village was on a main route from the West Country to London and as such prospered with the various small hamlets clustered around the church.

Today the centre of the Parish, such as it is, has moved away from the church. The population now spreads from the new developments in the south of the Parish to the rural area of Nuptown.

The population of the Parish continues to grow. In 1991 it was 1794 and in 2000 it was 9050. A further 2500 houses are proposed for 2016.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, famous for well..er..coal (anthracite), Joe Bidden's hometown (VP candidate), home to Ned Washington - he wrote lyrics to "When you wish upon a star", the setting for the American version of the Office.

I have lived in Portsmouth, Virginia for the past 29 years. Portsmouth has had its ups and downs over the years. There is a quaint Olde Town section with homes from the 1700's, and some churches that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson actually attended (not members). Gen Benedict Arnold (a traitor to us Yanks) had his quarter right across the street from my museum, also the site of the famous battle of the first "ironclads" the Monitor and the Merrimac (fought to a draw) and we are near Williamsburg (Colonial Capital) and Jamestown (First English Settlement) Yorktown (where Cornwallis surrenderd) and sites of many Civil War camps and battlegrounds. I guess for America our history is about as old as it gets. Beat out the Pilgrims by 12 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am from Birmingham, UK. Englands second city. Centuries ago it was a small town called Brummagem (hence we are called Brummies).

I live right on the outskirts, a couple of minutes drive up the road, and we're in the countryside, but we have all the convenience of city living too.

Hmm....famous for: Well as a chocolate lover, Cadburys has to be top of the list, yum!

The Spitfire was built here during WW2.

Oh and of course, Ozzy Osbourne!

My mind has now gone blank............

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Fort Morgan, Colorad- what you have never heard of it? I am so surprised!

We are a rural farming community about an hour NorthEast of Denver. We only have about 10,000 people in our whole county.

They say that Glenn Miller- (a singer) was born here. :)

We should be famous for our tumble weeds!

Dawn- we also geocache! We love it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast