Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are you from?

Post Thanks / Like
    im from essex

famous for essex girls and boy racers lol
    :tongue0011-1:been before and cant wait to go again:tongue0011-1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Poole in Dorset. I lived briefly in Essex but couldn't wait to come home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maine=vacationland. known for our lobsters and Christmas trees.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently reside in the Valley of the Sun in Arizona (USA). The valley consists of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Mesa, Glendale and a number of other incorporated cities/towns and unincorporated areas. It's located in south central Arizona in the Sonoran desert.

While we have a rich history (Hohokam and other Native Americans), our current cities are relatively new, even by US standards. In the 1980s people finally woke up and began preserving some of our older buildings (early 1900s) and developed Heritage Square in Phoenix. Most of the other cities followed suit and saved at least a few buildings and developed around them. Most of our historic districts date from the 1920s to the 1950s, which sounds strange when most civic centers date back hundreds of years. :)

When I moved here, the economy was largely agricultural--cotton and citrus. If you've ever heard of Pima cotton (also called Supima when processed a certain way), this is where it's grown! As with the Orlando area, most agricultural land has been developed, although there still are pockets in various areas. Raising and breeding Arabian horses was really popular in the 1980s, but like most trends, the market burst in the 1990s. We still have a lot of horse properties in the cities (Cave Creek and Carefree are built around horse properties), but fewer actual ranches.

The area began attracting people from all over the US following WWII, when many servicemen were stationed at Luke AFB and Williams AFB. When air conditioning became common in the 1960s, growth really exploded.

Overall, we have a mild climate--if you like it warm! Average daytime temperatures in the winter are around 60 degrees (can be in the 40s when the jet stream dips down to visit us), but the summers can reach 115+ degrees. Most of our rain occurs between June and September, during what is called the Monsoon Season. It's humid, in addition to hot--and not very comfortable! The remainder typically is in January/February. It's a trade-off, just like most places. The uncomfortable seasons are just reversed. :)

I was born in the midwest, but moved to California just before my third birthday. I grew up at and with Disneyland. It was a day trip from where we lived in the Los Angeles area, about a one-hour drive in those days. I bounced around the country quite a bit for a dozen years or so before deciding to call the Valley of the Sun home. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisawm, post: 65248
    I am from Birmingham, UK. Englands second city. Centuries ago it was a small town called Brummagem (hence we are called Brummies).

I live right on the outskirts, a couple of minutes drive up the road, and we're in the countryside, but we have all the convenience of city living too.

Hmm....famous for: Well as a chocolate lover, Cadburys has to be top of the list, yum!

The Spitfire was built here during WW2.

Oh and of course, Ozzy Osbourne!

My mind has now gone blank............
    Snap, we must be close to each other:p015:

you gave a v good description:p015:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was also born into a military family and don't really call any place home, but if someone was to ask where I'm from I say LaPorte, Indiana. I don't think LaPorte is famous for anything except for a woman serial killer, and Oprah has a home in the county. :D

I've lived in Indiana (several different areas), California (twice), Virginia, Florida and Illinois. I think from the military I've gotten the "moving" bug...I feel the need to move all the time. Try somewhere new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in Quantico, Virginia. Quantico is a US Marine Corps base. It was a town first and then completely surrounded by the Marine Corps. The base is home to the FBI training academy and the DEA training academy.

I grew up in Richmond, VA and the surrounding areas. Richmond is famous for many things. It's the headquarters of tobacco giant, Phillip Morris. It was also the capitol of the Confederacy during the Civil War. It was also the top of the list for the most murders for a city it's size. That seems to have quelled a bit in the recent past.

I currently live in Hopewell, VA. There is lots of history here as well. Grant used it as a place to stop and calculate his siege during the Civil War. Hopewell is also known for having the largest collection of do it yourself Sears catalog homes that are still standing.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am from West Virginia famous for coal mines maybe? Has a bad rep founded on some truth but overall nothing like most people perceive it to be.

The best feature could also be it's worst. It's a wonderful small town. Safe & a great place to raise kids. But also boring because there are no good shows or concerts or much of culture to do. Also no real future for our youth; so it's a great place to raise kids & watch them leave as they grow up & head to greener fields :(
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom grew up in Pinsonfork, Kentucky....it's right on the WV line. A coal mine is literally across the creek from my grandma's house. My grandpa was a coal miner....a job I would wish on noone :( My mom joined the Marines because there were no options then. There still aren't. It's very sad.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in St. Albans, Vermont, famous for Maple Syrup. It is located in Northern Vermont, not too far from the Canadian border. But I didn't live there long. We moved to Lynn, Massachusetts, just outside of Boston, shortly after I was born and then just before my 4th birthday moved to Northern Virginia where I grew up. I have been back in this area since 1987 now and we currently live in Woodbridge. The Potomac River is only about a mile from my house as the crow flies.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast